Solidworks Slowness - Sheet Metal with Perforated Pattern

Hi all

I regularly come up against a problem of hallucinating slowness of the software when I have to make perforated sheets:

- with standard pattern of the R8 T15 mesh style (just for the example): with several thousand holes in a predefined area. I work with the repetition functions which are horribly slow as soon as I repeat the entities several thousand times.

- when my drawing is very complex and comes from a DWG / DXF file often sent by a designer/architect. In these cases, I often only do a removal of material, but just the realization of this function makes the work extremely slow. 

I sometimes wait several tens of seconds for the software to validate a click...  Is there a way to dodge the problem? By the way, these thousands of holes are only "visual" on the drawing, they do not serve me from a pure and hard constructive point of view on my design (framework, railings, cladding, mechanically welded equipment, boilermaking....), but I have to make them appear in my 3D to have the visual as close as possible to the reality of the project.

Thanking you in advance for the help,

Subject already discussed several times, here are some links:

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/mod%C3%A9lisation-volumique-3d/comment-repr%C3%A9senter-une-t%C3%B4le-perfor%C3%A9e

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/import-export-formats-neutres/existe-t-il-une-biblioth%C3%A8que-avec-des-gilles-grillage-et-t%C3%B4les-p

6 Likes

Hello 

It's quite normal, the reconstruction of the functions each time you open or modify. You can mitigate it a bit by using the blocking bar that prevents the functions from being rebuilt.

7 Likes

Hello, always think, the simpler the parts, the faster the computer!! The more functions and/or repetitions there are, the more complex the piece is and the more difficult the software is...

Good luck

G.

4 Likes

Hello

As far as perforated sheet metal is concerned, it would seem, from my experience, that the face repetition is faster than the function repetition which is itself faster than the function of repeated holes in the sketch which is faster than the drilling function with the repetition of points.

Good luck

3 Likes

Hello

Make your holes on your part if necessary, create a jam in which you remove your piercings and in this jam use an appearance representing the piercings (it is possible to create your own skins).

2 Likes

Hello

To limit the problem of small segments when importing the DXF, you need the dxf file either in ACII R2007-2009 version,

Of course, the DXFs are made of ACII R12, which breaks down the SPLINE into polishing lines.

Or when you have no choice you import your DXF (everything rots) and, in another sketch you re-design everything. This is what we do systematically, it allows us to control the dimensions and the geometric elements.

Hoping it helps you.

2 Likes

hello @ paygaarz64

subject dealt with here X times

See this link Everything is said

in + when reading the thread of the tests of the tests were done

and we prove that a xeon is more efficient than an I7

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/nid-d-abeille

and also the links given by our friend @ sbadenis

@+ ;-)

ps:

The surface repetition is less greedy than the function repetition ;-)

5 Likes

Thank you all for the answers,

Regarding the application of an appearance on certain areas of my face of the part, I guess I need to create an extremely small boss/extrusion of the affected areas to then apply the appearance where I want?

I'm going to look into the specific creation of appearances, it doesn't suit me at all from a working time point of view but hey...

As for the DXF file, I'll give it a try by comparing the ACII versions as indicated above.