Chain/sprocket connection

Hello, on Solidworks, how can you wrap a chain (link assembly) around sprockets (shaft/pinion assembly) in an overall assembly?

thank you in advance

Hello

Yes, I think it is possible...  

Is the chain correctly sized (link size / sprocket size)?

Is the link assembly done with the pivot function?

I don't know if a function exists but with the constraints, there may be a solution.

Have you tried to make a coaxiality between the link cylinder and the cylindrical hollow of the cogwheel?

Hello

Maybe you should look with the assembly function ""belt/chain" and with tangency constraints and maybe, but it's not on a gear  constraint

Hello,  like dpusel, I think we should put a "pinion/gears" constraint; In principle you know the gear ratio according to the number of  teeth of your sprockets. And can be a "cam" or "tangeance" constraint for the chain.

Good luck.

Hello

On the other hand, I don't think I'm saying by saying that at no time can you have a simulation of the movement of your chain. You can only put her in position.

Bastien

you can always use the trajectory constraint eventually but hey it supposes to use two trajectory constraints per link ... If the chain is long, it may cause problems.

After that, there is still the possibility, if you want to push the simulation further, to use the solidworks animation module and see the drive of the chain made during the rotation of the sprocket.

Hello 

I have the same problem, just to assemble the chain I was told that I have to do it link by link, it's very long, so I gave up because it's only for visualization that I wanted to integrate the chain, to fill the gap as they say. But if you or someone else finds the solution, I'm interested.

Good evening

you do from your ASM "insert" + "assembly function" + "chain belt" then in the feature manager, you let yourself be guided by first selecting your sprockets (screws in my example but it does the same).

If you have one of the sprockets that has a "tensioner" type degree of freedom, you can even position this tensioner by driving by the length of the belt.

you can also simulate DP and even belt thicknesses

You can also create a virtual or external belt part (be careful, it will have an external reference that you may have to break depending on your work methodologies.

capture.jpg