Links between functions/operations

Hello

I'm making a part on solidworks 2016. I started by creating an offset plane , then I want to create a 2nd offset plane whose offset value is the same as the first one. When I delete the dimension and I want to put the link with the offset of the 1st plane, it doesn't work (I do the same thing as to have a link between sketch dimensions, and it works). The problem repeats when I use the linear repeat function, I would like a link between the increment value and the offset value of the 1st plane...

The final goal is that I just have to evolve my shift rating of the 1st plan and everything else follows.

Under catia I know that there is no problem, under solidworks I have less experience.

Thank you in advance.

Anais

Hello

There are several solutions:
  - Use "equations" in this case it is the dimension of positions of the 1st plan that will drive all the following
 - Use "linked odds" in this case no matter which odds you edit, the others will have the same value

In both cases the most painful thing is to be able to select the dimension to be controlled, for my part what I find easiest is to have "Instant3D" of assets,
for an equation
-I click on my 2nd plan, at which point the dimension appears.
- if I want to create an equation I double click on the side, (walls a little painful to catch it correctly)
- the editing window opens, I replace the value of the dimension with a "=" then I go to find my target dimension by clicking on the 1st plan, then I select this dimension.

To create a linked dimension, I right-click on the dimension

In any case, the handling is the same for plans, dimensions of a sketch, or dimension of functions.

equation.jpg
4 Likes

Image for linked call number

lien.jpg
2 Likes

Hello

You just have to double click on the dimension of the second plane and put an equal to it, then click on the 1st so that the dimension appears, then click on it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer. 

Strangely enough, when I click on the plan, I only have the possibility to "define the function" and I don't have the same window that opens (no "dimensioning" window). In the function edit window, I remove the value and type "=" but then I can't catch the value of the 1st plane, as if it were impossible. Looks like I have a configuration or option not enabled.

Anyway I found another way, I went through Tools->Equations...->view of dimensions  and there in the table I edit directly to have relationships. It's more laborious but it works

liens.png

Hello

Another solution is to define a global variable (in the equation window) and assign a value to it. Then double-click on the dimensions you want to link to this variable. So effective you have several solutions, all good, at your disposal

Kind regards

variable.png
2 Likes

I tried to make a video capture of SW unfortunately the dimension entry window does not appear,

Hoping it can help you anyway.

solidworks_professional_2020_sp4.0_-_piece1___2020-10-28_12-45-14.mp4
2 Likes