Solidworks View Interrupt Line (2nd Edition)

Hello

I'd like to revive this thread because the solution of cropping the view with a custom-made sketch is painful on "quantitative" work.

Doesn't Solidworks offer a more suitable tool?

Thank you

N.B: The objective is to interrupt a drawing view as in these examples :

The "Break" tool in the view layout tab is not enough?

4 Likes

As we told you in the 1st thread. Either you can do it by break line, or you can do it by cropping.

I'm not sure I understand why trimming is more painful than the breaking tool. It's something I do quite regularly... if it takes me 30s flat it's a max

4 Likes

coin37coin, the problem with the break lines is that you have to keep the end of the coin, while on the example image it's more trimming in order to have only a part of the coin. A bit like a detail view basically.... well I think that's what Pa is looking for.

And if anyone finds it, I'm interested in it too!

2 Likes

Exactly, as Frédéric explains, it seems impossible to me to place one breakout line on the coin and the other "outside". Domage because the interest of this tool is also to automatically adapt to the dimensions of the room (i.e. small zig zag if the tree is small, large zig zag if the room is high).

Otherwise I agree with you, trimming is easy and it does the job.

Only as soon as you want to make beautiful zig zags (not to mention ripples) with parts of different sizes you have to be careful, and I'm just surprised not to find a more suitable tool in Solidworks.

I also admit that it's a bit of perfectionism. :)

(so I won't leave the post too long)

Thank you all for your interest

1 Like

Basically, the problems are as follows:

- the breaks are made in the middle of a piece so the two ends of the broken ends are represented on the plan but the objective was to represent one end but not the other.

- trimming, zig zag must be drawn "à la mano"; for small parts it is delicate and long

- the detail view only makes circle sketches but would almost be fine

- the local cut is off topic

Hello@Pa

Just a correction, the detail views are not fixed to circles, you can make rectangles and any other closed outline. You just have to draw before the outline and then click on "detail view".

See attached image.

And for your problem, trimming seems the most realistic, as mentioned in the previous thread, even if it has constraints!

screenshot2608.jpg
4 Likes

In this case, why not create a sketch with 3 lines (the zigzag) and create a block? You can place an insertion point of the block ... which allows you to insert as many zigzags as necessary one after the other.

And it saves you from having to do everything again afterwards;)

2 Likes

@coin37coin ok for the trick, I'll do as you advise me with block copy/paste.

If I find another technique I'll post it here for Frédéric ;)

Thank you all for your professional welcome! :)

2 Likes

I'll go a little further than coin quack: I'll make a sketch with about ten zigzags recorded as a block.

You insert your block, a scaling to cut the whole piece, a spline to make the rest of the outline and that's it: it's fast and quite aesthetic ;-)