Contents

Hello, I am looking for a light solution or a regroupoupement for the display of my choice of materials we use (photo step 1 and 2)

I created my material line via the Part Editor form. (photo publisher piece)

The materials we use I put them in the favorite tab that can be found in the subject editor (photo editor matière).

As you can see my list is long photo Step 2

I would like to know if in the favorite tab I can have subfolders like the left part of the photo editor subject instead of having the whole list in a row

thanking you in advance for your help I hope to be clear

etape1

etape2

matiere

piece

If you have the mycad tool you can use Select material.

Just right-click on the material in a room (here 304 stainless steel) and it offers you either to edit the materials which opens your 3rd screen preview with the materials library or you choose one of the favorite materials available (here 304 stainless steel, ACIER235, PEHD500...) This list is of course customizable

1 Like

hello no I don't have the mycad tool and when I right click it appears the large window

You could write a macro with a UserForm and ComboBoxes to select the material

Hello

I created my library of .prtdot having each one already its own material as well as its custom properties filled according to the material. I have more or 15, when I start a piece I already have its material so no need to bother anymore... To do this, you just have to create a part and assign the material to it and fill in the properties that go with the material and save it under prtdot. But first you will have to create a folder where you can put everything in it and then go to the Solidworks options to give it the path...

2 Likes

100/100 in agreement with the answer @ ac cobra

@+

2 Likes

For the answer of using the mycad tool, I find that it brings nothing more than the basic function integrated in solidworks:

i.e. access to the complete list,

or access to favorites.

What Itec49 would like is a cascading menu, which doesn't exist at the moment,

then he could submit this improvement idea to SW-usa via their form.

Interesting solution, but requires knowledge of the material at the creation, and sometimes in design it can change radically.

Otherwise there is still the possibility of creating it with vba.

Not necessarily, if you create a part then you put the galvanized material and in my case I have a custom material property and there I put galvanized and then save it in .prtdot in the folder I created by naming it galvanized. After this operation I if I choose it when I start a part it will already have the assigned material as well as the material in the custom property...

that's what I understood ac cobra, no problems with the DOT method.

but in the design phase sometimes we start with a material A,

and in the middle or at the end of the design, we're going to use a material B.

1 Like

It's true that it happens to me too, but here we can still change the material in the room and the personalized property. The explanation was rather for Olivier because he was talking about the creation of matter.

1 Like

The interest of the myCAD tools is just in addition to the notion of filters, it is to copy the properties of the custom tab of the material editor into the properties.

and it's available in SmartProperties

A+

Hello everyone and thank you for your answers.

Indeed, Olivier42 is exactly what I am looking for, no complexity, a cascading menu and in my studies, depending on the manufacturing time, the material supply constraints, I am led to change the material. So I'm going to keep looking on my own.

Thank you