Low polygon project/consulting/review

Hello

I have a project to create a  wolf's head in low polygon (real, weld) (photo 1 ). By browsing on an English-speaking site I paid for a 3d model and acquired the rights. I contacted the creator to find out if I could use his model to create a statue. it's ok. So I have an STL file of a low polygon wolf's head. there is a little work to be done and purification (some polygons are useless )

First of all, here is what I started to do:

I imported the . STL by integrating the volume surfaces, I traced the entirety of the wolf head in a 3d sketch using the magnetism of my model . STL. Once my 3d sketch was finished, I deleted my model. STL which made solidworks crazy (normal, all the position references of my points are linked with my .stl model). I removed all the constraints of my sketch and fixed my model to avoid any deformation of the model by mistake ) 

Obviously I am aware that I did anything ;D

So I would like to have opinions on the approach you would use for this kind of project, here is what I need in the end:

Cutting list of all polygons in the entire project .

A set of angles for positioning parts with each other during assembly.

Be able to edit the . STL retrieve from the internet to clean up the design 

I don't want to go through bending so the detail of the parts must be 1 piece per polygon

( I tried an extrusion of my tracing of all my faces. since it is a 3D file I have to indicate a direction to each of my faces. I also tried to go to sheet metal but I am ;p, I also searched a little in the sketch image, Since I'm on a 3D model and not a 2D image I'm not more advanced :)

Thank you for taking the time to read,

If you have any leads or ideas ;)

Thank you

Flo

2.png

Hello

Given the imposed figures, namely: a set of unfolded polygons that will be welded later, you have two main operations to perform.

The first is where you use parallel planes to position the vertex of each polygon. Avoid getting into the edges in the model containing the parallel planes.

The sheets from these plans will serve as a welding mannequin. For this operation, leave from the STL.

The second operation, which will surely be the simplest if not the fastest, is to position the three points of each triangle (by measuring the three edges) in a single part (as a laser cutting optimization software would do). This way, you have only one file to send to the laserist. However, it is in your interest to mark each of your pieces on a sequable part (attached to each triangle) so that you don't end up in front of a gigantic 3D puzzle.

You should still tell us if you have one or more objects to make and especially how you plan to cut your sheet metal and why in sheet metal. (Also specify which subject)

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your answer.

I want to make a single play, it is a Sunday project. I just want to keep myself busy on weekends.

Concerning the sheet metal it will surely be 2mm thick black steel for 2 reasons to have a white contrast (metal cleaning  on my welding edges) black (color of the steel). 2mm thick to limit the deformation that there could be in thinner steel. I don't want to switch to stainless steel  because the rate of deformation when welding is huge (but I'll test myself on it shortly).

Regarding the sheet metal, I won't go through a laser cut (.dxf). I don't intend to cut everything at the same time but to segment the steps. I have not yet thought about this segmentation because it depends mainly on technical constraints concerning the accessibility of welding / grinding.

I will start directing my research thanks to the information you have given me and try to move forward a little.

Thank you very much

Flo

Hello FLO

At your disposal to help you if you feel the need.

Small remark, black steel does not exist without surface tiding, either painting or burnishing, or black zinc plating (which few subcontractors have), etc...

A little advice, 2 mm is too thick, take 0.5 to 1mm, big max. If you do torch welding  with a very thin nozzle (or tig) you will have little deformation and no grinding, just smoothing with a file and sandpaper. On top of it, a light sandblasting and powder painting and you will have a super perfect thing.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

So little update of my project. After thinking a little about my project, I changed my mind. I'm going to make folded parts. The reason being the fact that I will hardly have access to certain welds to grind and clean them properly. I am thinking especially of elements whose angle is below 180 degrees (elements pushed inside my pattern, problem of accessibility with the grinder, big risk of damaging the part). 

I think that the idea of switching to thinner sheet metal is also worth it. (avoid cuts in the thickness of the sheet metal according to the angles)

I will probably start with a 2 mm sheet metal as a table support. 1.2 mm for the elements of the sculpture.  Mark on this sheet the positioning of the pieces and thus begin the outline of the piece. And then we'll see the result.

Thank you. 

Flo

Hello @Fleow

Thank you for sharing with us the progress of your thoughts.

A few friendly remarks:

1°) For the thickness 2mm is too much, 1mm should be enough (personally I would put 0.6 mm or 0.7mm).
What for? Because your structure is made of a set of hollows and bumps, it will have a self-stiffening effect so you can have a minimum thickness of sheet metal. In addition, for bending and especially the precise adjustment of each angle, the more flexible the sheet metal, the less difficult it will be to handle and especially to weld.

2°) If you want to make your folds quickly and cheaply, you would be well advised to make or buy a mini bench folding machine with split tools that will allow you to make precise folds. (note banana bending machines cannot be used in your case

1 Like

Hello @Fleow

The following messages are truncated again (Grrr)

3°) If you want to achieve your goals easily, plan for gauges for some of your angles because corner brackets won't go everywhere. In addition, it will be more precise.

4°) try to see the parts where you can have a folding chain! for example with 4 or five triangles that would be joined and therefore without welds. I have identified at least 7 plies that can be made with a single piece of sheet metal. That's the advantage of SolidWorks to be able to make a flat cut of several interlocking triangles.

The less welding you will have, the less deformation of the sheet metal you will have, because the welding on edges deforms the sheets a lot and very difficult to remove the bumps (the cricket effect you know the trick that makes when you press on a flat or convex surface it suddenly becomes concave with the click bell noise). In addition, on clean folds, no grinding and therefore intact surface condition.

It's worth watching, AMHA.

@tous I am thinking of the principle of Bombled bending machines, with which it will be easier to obtain precise angles, unlike vees in the air, which are more delicate to handle, even on a bench press. In addition, it is not very expensive to manufacture given the size of the triangles and the thickness.

@Flo I can't wait for the rest ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello @flo

While distracting myself on youtube I stumbled upon it by chance Watch from 9:04 it looks a lot like what you want to do.

By the way, this is consistent with my suggestions on the thickness and self-reinforcement of the edges  ;-) ;-)

Kind regards

Good evening

It's been 1 month now that I started designing this wolf's head,

I post a picture of the progress on solidworks . This may possibly be of interest to other people who might have the same project.

Thank you;) 

wolf2.jpg
1 Like

Hello @tous

I don't know if I can see very well but I have the impression that the edge connections are not very clean and that there are a lot of defects. And even the project seems to be only in 3D under SW, let's wait to see the realization with welding on multiple facets. The model presented here is relatively far from the model presented in the first post. I find the SW model less subtle, especially in the jawline and mane, but hey! Let's admit that it's not an easy subject to deal with anyway.

But let's be reassured, I believe that Fleow is much stronger than us and our meagre advice or suggestions have remained without effect.

Kind regards

Zozo_mp, I find you a bit cynical.
The first image is the ideal model with sewn facets and not a weld model.

Fleow's last post shows us the actual model, with the tangent edges of the sheet metal plies and the thickness of the sheets where there is a weld bead. That's a lot of extra strokes that weigh down the image.

The jaw is indeed to be finalized but Fleow did not say that it was finished.

It would be interesting if Fleow made an assembly of the 2 parts to realize the exact discrepancies.

2 Likes

Hello@stefbeno

You're right and thank you for pointing out my behavior ;-) Thank you!

I would like to have @GT22 's opinion to know if it is not simpler to do everything on the surface (in a single volume) and then to make the cuts on the edge by removing a few hundredths of the material once the whole thing is thickened. I was thinking  of the surface because there are a lot of huge undercuts that are difficult to treat in pure volume and which is simpler in surface which has no thickness or definition.

This would allow, if I'm not mistaken, to identify the "plywood" pieces that can be made in one piece without welding. This should make it possible to limit the number of welds and therefore the deformations and also the assembly on templates.

Kind regards

Hello

I know that I am digging up a subject.

Of course I am not a champion in solidworks but the drawing I made was enough for the completion of my project. 

@+ ;p

121720869_338714840527222_8602587948342131027_n.jpg
3 Likes

another ;p

121700498_781216222448253_233207624648518833_n.jpg
3 Likes

Good idea to come back and give news. It's not digging up because it's the progress of the project.
Is it a desire to leave the sheets just pointed or is a finishing phase planned?

Can you also put us an image of your final SW model, I imagine that it must have evolved a little anyway.

2 Likes

Nice

the problem is the maximum soldering to be done and not all of them really accessible

especially grinding, not to mention deformations 

I would have personally preferred a Max of folds but of course you need the tool for it ;-)

and maybe model the teeth differently 

thank you for showing  us the evo of the project

Well done

@+

1 Like