Matereferences

Hello everyone,

Currently I am trying to "self-constrain" standard parts so that I only need to "slide" them into the assemblies in order to position them directly.

When it comes to a rotating part that does not require a rotating stop (e.g. screws, cylindrical washers, etc.), everything is fine. Simply select the circular that is in contact with the die part and the part automatically moves into the correct position.

However, when it comes to a prismatic part, I can fill in the 3 self-stressing zones of "Matereference" but when positioning in the assembly, solidworks will only choose ONE reference out of the 3 and therefore impossible to position the part completely without having to add the rest of the constraints manually. 

How can I ensure that all three references are used when positioning in the assembly?

Thanks in advance,

Happy New Year, good health,

Helm.

1 Like

Hello

Can you attach your piece to us so that we can do some tests?

It's normal, the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary constraints don't combine!

SW first checks the primary constraint. If it is not satisfied the second then if it is still not good the tertiary.

2 Likes

So, if you put the first coincidence constraint of 2 planes, the system only constrains that. It doesn't matter what you put after. 

2 Likes

In general, edges are rather constrained; for a circular edge, this will directly give 2 constraints: coincidence and coaxiality for example.

2 Likes

Hello

Excuse the response time.

ac cobra 427 :: I am unable to attach a file for confidentiality reasons.

Alan. ERP:: Okay, thank you. I did think that primary, secondary and tertiary constraints could be associated with each other.

Is there another way to assign several stresses automatically to a part in order to facilitate its positioning in an assembly?

Thanking you in advance as well as for your previous answers.

1 Like

Yes, there are solutions:

Create a smart component

Make a library file with associated functions

In fact, it all depends on your problem.

2 Likes