Error message in Solidwork when editing an assembly

Hello, I just changed jobs and at my new job, I have a problem of error message that keeps popping and I would like to know the cause in order to fix it....

In general, there are two messages that come up frequently:

Unexpected File Format

and the other:

Attempting to access an unnamed file after it has completed

Why do I have these messages and how to fix it all thank you!!

Hello

In both cases, it is probably the file extensions that are not good or wrong, or even perhaps related to problems in the BDR that would lead to not recognizing the files.

For help:

1. Can you make a screenshot of the files using the file manager of Windows or Apple.
  2. Which version of SW do you have?
  3. Where do these files come from?
  4. Do these files work properly on another computer?
  5. Are you on a network or on an individual workstation not connected to the internal network (if all the workstations are on the same internal network)?

In the meantime, I'm switching my own text to the spell checker!

Kind regards.

1 Like

I would lean more towards storage problems so network and/or hard drive.
If several positions, are all concerned?

2 Likes

Good morning,

To answer your questions I can't take a picture unfortunately because there is not enough memory on my hard drive yesterday I didn't even have access to the Windows photo viewer.

We currently have SW2018 which is not so bad. We have the 2019 licenses but not yet installed in order to change our computer for a more recent one.

On the other hand, I'm the only one of the two cartoonists to whom it happens.

We are on individual workstations but connect to an independent "mother" network depending on the tasks to be performed.

And since my hard drive is full I record on the network (off-pdm) .... Maybe this could be the cause....??

Hello

Yes, I confirm that working with a full hard drive is a lot of problems.

I advise you to free up some space on this one.

1 Like

Since I'm new I don't want to risk deleting important files... So I'm going to continue to record on the public network.

To confirm what my comrades said, for a good thing you would need a minimum of 10-15% free disk space to allow Solidworks to work normally. And so that Windows also works normally.

Solidworks uses Windows to run, so if there are already problems with the OS, you don't have to look any further...

I advise you to clean up your workstation by removing temporary files and other files that are useless and then to make a backup of the most greedy files on the servers. That way you don't lose any data.

2 Likes

Good explanation from Bart.

Even if you are working from the network, you need space on your hard drive for Windows and Solidworks to work properly (temporary files,...).

1 Like

Thank you all! I'm going to clean up the temporary files. If the problem comes back I will write to you again. Thank you again!!

I'm afraid that purging temporary files won't be enough...

This problem of space on the hard drive is obviously the tip of the iceberg that awaits you in terms of IT management and working method with SW.

Since there is a network and a server or a NAS, I hope that there is an IT referent in your company. Contact him to clean up your machine and consider using your network to store your professional files (SW and others) in collaboration with your colleague.
If server, I hope there is a backup, it's something vital in a company. If you store your work files on the server, they will be automatically protected, which is not the case with files stored locally (on your machine).

If there is no referent (so everyone does their own thing), nor a backup, expect the worst at the slightest hiccup (hard drive failure).

1 Like