Preconditioning Error Message

In order to put yourself in the real conditions of use of a tank. I applied the force (variable force ρ.g.h) and an imposed displacement (plane support under the tank), I used to fix this face instead of using a plane support, but it's not totally identical to reality, because the tank is not recessed, it is just placed on a slab.

Error message attached below.

erreeur.png

Hello

In fact, I think that your tank still has 2 degrees of freedom in translation and it can move. Since your mesh does not have a symmetry of revolution, your pressure induces a translation component.

If your tank is symmetrical, I advise you to mesh only a quarter of the tank and to apply symmetry conditions (Block the normal translation and the 2 complementary rotations for the shell  elements or block the normal translation for the volume elements)

As a result, you will no longer have to ask yourself questions to have your structure immobilized

Cdlt

1 Like

Hello

If I understood correctly, I'm afraid that the simulation doesn't say much about the real deformation of the tank (which contains either a liquid or is under pressure of a gas, or its own weight if it's empty)

This will just show the deformation at the bottom of the ferrule tank under its own empty weight.

A tank is generally placed on feet and in addition has metal bottom embossed at each end

I don't know what Acombier thinks about it apart from his very relevant information about which there is nothing to say ;-)

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer Acombier, the tank is not perfectly symmetrical at the level of the Dome (because of the manhole), but I tried the same simulation using only the 1/4 of the tank and a virtual wall instead of the floor, it seems to work and the tank is immobilized. The problem is that in this way I neglect the presence of the manhole on one of the 4 parts of the cup, which is not totally correct.

To answer Zozo, a tank is not always placed on legs, and this tank is not made of steel, it is PE and placed directly on a slab.

ico.png
1 Like

Ha! All right!! Very interesting

It's the lack of a spokes at the bottom that coated me with error :-)

For your simulation, if the tank is empty, I don't really see what the manhole could change because it's more of a place of reinforcement rather than weakening of the dome.

Kind regards