Flattening a tube

Hey cracks!

I'm stuck on a small problem, I dug a little in other subjects but I didn't find what I was looking for (or I missed THE post ..)
The methods department asks me to flatten a bent tube to create a template, I tried a few things, including the bending which is the closest to what I am looking for, but without achieving the clean result... I could calculate the radius by hand for this simple part, but I may have more complicated ones in the future.

If any of you have an idea, I'm all for it!

test_deplie.sldprt

Hello @ Klo

if you want quick answers images are + telling 

we don't all have the same log or the same version

or post a neutral parasolid step file

in + as I understand it:

you don't want to lay flat but to put it straight since you tried with the bending tool

@+ ;-)

Hello

For your information, what is the purpose of the unfolded, the total length for a total or partial unfolded or unfolded to have the dimensions at the time of manufacture?

EDIT: Ahh I think I figured out your problem by activating the flex function. (disregard my question ^^)

Thank you in advance

Well done!

I join it in WWTP ;) I had put the .sldprt leaving the bending test I had done but where everything was not conclusive

What the methods ask me to do is to unfold the 90° fold of the handle indeed.

test_deplie.step

@FUZ3D

I admit that I don't have the details. I imagine it's for manufacturing, the total length could be obtained by the measure tool.

I found a hack that can work in this case.

it consists of creating a flat sketch that is then constrained by the equations.

So I draw the theoretical loop flat with its radius of 5mm with the 2 lines from the fold.

These 2 lines are the sum of the arc (14.9mm) + its extension (7.5mm)

Then cut off the part that goes up and replace it with a scan of the flat part.

So it allowed me to learn how to dimension an arc of a circle of which here is the link.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Video_Dimensioning_Arc_Length.htm

There is still a transition problem with the new part, but no time to go deeper than that. ;)

The image is available as an attachment if not legible

tube_1.png
1 Like

Well finally I couldn' t help myself for the liaison.

- Check "Align with end faces"

Still, it's approximate but we're getting closer.

tube_2.png
1 Like

Hello

Look at my tutorial, it should meet your needs.

5 Likes

For the realization of a template with a flat layout I advise you to start with a sheet metal part as attached, it will be much better.

test_deplie_ac_cobra.sldprt
3 Likes

Hello,

I took a little time to test. In my case, what works best is the @FUZ3D hack. Simple and effective, bravo!

@ac cobra 427, great tutorial, it may serve me again! The problem in the technique is that it requires a complete re-modeling, by a service that is not necessarily the most comfortable in CAD... and with the somewhat special shape, a 90° offset is created after the fold...

Thank you all!