Migration SW2015 ==>> SW2018

Hello

Has anyone attempted a migration from SW2015 to SW2018?

If so, have you encountered any difficulties or bugs on parts and/or assemblies created with SW2015?

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Michael

Good evening

Normally no problem you just have to remember to save the swsetting (SLDREG extension) which keeps all the customizations (menus, icons, rules, etc, etc...

Indeed, during the SW migration, they overwrite them and you just have to put them on the desktop or wherever the administrator wants, outside the SW paths.

I'm talking here outside of PDM that I don't know.

It is prudent to also save these models, including those of the  plans.

Otherwise I never encounter a problem, if only on the forum where I open all the files posted by our colleagues without question.

Kind regards

1 Like

there are SP updates, which can be done by overwriting the existing Solidworks.

but for the version changes (year), with time it is better to favor "a clean upgrade" rather than overwriting the existing one (because we drag some of the bugs anyway)

Subject already covered here:

https://www.lynkoa.com/forum/solidworks/copie-des-param%C3%A8tres?page=1#answer-815999

And for your information, even DOT or "DOT basic part" can be a problem, with the addition of new options in the documents, or welded const. parameter, or sheet metal, etc...

for the blank "DOT" in any case, it might be better to also recreate it from the DOT file of the 20XX install.

But that's if we want to do well, and we have the time to... (but it's good to remember it)

1 Like

Following this, it is recommended to run the "SolidWorks Task Scheduler" to "migrate" the library files to the new version.

to see if the same is needed on the "project" or "project document" or "company document" folder

1 Like

Hello

From 2015 to 2018 I think there will be no major problems on the parts (provided that everything is in 2015). If, on the other hand, you have older files, some functions may not rebuild correctly (the surface area among others).

For my part, when we went from 2014 to 2016 we had to repair as many files as possible that contained surface because SW had changed the way to manage the selection of surfaces (saving the pointer coordinates and since it didn't exist before it assigned a point to "random").

From memory this change was already effective in 2015 so normally no worries.

There are also the families of parts that can generate errors (a column title has changed to 2016 if I remember correctly).

If you have the possibility, the easiest way is to build a test PC with the 2018 version and make take-away compositions of files to leave your current database clean and thus test the behavior.

1 Like