Solidworks 2016 Update to 2018 SP1

Hello

I come to you to know 2 / 3 things. Because indeed solidworks offers me to go for a more recent version.

First of all, is solidworks 2018 better than 2016? 

Then do you mind installing it?

Is it long to install it? because it's for the work computer.

And last question: Will I lose my custom library? or my automatic drawings and any other data.

Basically, should I do it or not.

Thank you very much.

Hello, in my opinion it's an evolution and not a revolution, from what I know, it's better to wait for the Sp4 and 5 versions in order to limit the bugs... otherwise an installation lasts on average an hour I think because it's better to uninstall everything and do a clean reinstall, then, update the files but all this is done well, and little risk of losing the data we have! 

3 Likes

Okay, thank you for your answer, I'll take note of it.

I will wait a little then before taking the step.

It's just that I was wondering because I'm offered to install the latest version.

And since I've never upgraded, I'd rather ask for :).

Of course, it's the kind of thing in which it's better to avoid rushing headlong at the risk of regretting it later:)

Kind regards

You say you have never upgraded, have you still installed the service packs, in other words are you in SP5? That's to be done.

For the migration, I would say it depends on your activity. If you do "basic" modeling, if you don't have any particular needs (customer who uses this particular version), I would say it's not worth it, knowing that your machine may find itself struggling. If you are using specific features, check out the whatsnew for 2017 and 2018 (https://files.solidworks.com/Supportfiles/Whats_new/2017/french/whatsnew.pdf and https://files.solidworks.com/Supportfiles/Whats_new/2018/french)/whatsnew.pdf)

If you decide to do it, NORMALLY, it's not a problem.
Depending on the number of machines concerned, you can migrate one, duplicate your database and do a test (be careful to isolate the test machine, once a file is saved with the new version, you can't go back)

In my previous company, we changed every 2 years by taking the SP5 version (latest) to avoid the bugs of the 1st packs, I think it's a good compromise for a use that does not require any latest evolutions.

After that, you also have to ask yourself the question of upgrading the files in the database because the best thing to do is to switch all the files back to the new version to optimize the opening and recording times. A Visiativ consultant came to manage this upgrade of the EPDM database using a mill that extracts the file, opens it and saves it in the new version for each of the SolidWorks files. There is the UpdateVersion tool of myCADtools that can do this but it must be a problem for files archived in the EPDM.

It makes me think that we are still in 2017SP4.1, we should move to SP5 anyway...

2 Likes

Subsidiary question: when you only switch to an SP (2017SP4.1 to SP5), what is the manipulation? Just install the new version downloaded from the SolidWorks site (no uninstallation or anything else)? What about the other workstations, you have to update each one or is it possible to install on all of them at the same time? No particular manipulation related to EPDM?

Change of SP:
- if you have time and the media, uninstall the old one and do a new install directly to the right SP
- If not, install the loaded version. Manipulation to be done on each station individually (I don't think the fixed/floating license nuance plays a role at this level).

For EPDM, I don't know.

Okey, okay.

Well, you might as well wait until the 2018 version is stable before doing a clear upgrade.

For the moment the version I have is enough for me.

I'm on Solidworks premium 2016 and I just saw that I'm in SP 3.0.

:(

@Antho: The SPs between EPDM and SW may be different since the 2017 version. Before, you needed the same SP.