Drawing model linked to an assembly model

Hey experts,

I have a challenge for you (well I think it's a challenge).

Here I have a basic product on which I have just added equipment. What I would like to achieve is a model of MEP that refers to a model of ASM.

We open the MEP model and then the ASM model (with the basic components), we add the equipment, the MEP is updated, we save everything under a new ASM name and a new DRW name.

I'm going to try to be clearer with pizzas.

assuming that MEP is my recipe and my ASM the base of my pizza (tomato paste and cheese)

I want to create a new recipe, so I open an MEP of this MEP, I open my pizza (ASM), I add my ingredients to my pizza (ham, mushrooms...) and when I save, I have a new pizza with a new recipe.

it works with something other than pizzas :-) ...

If my PB talks to you I'm a taker

Note: I am on SW 2015 + EPDM 2015.

Thank you for your support.

2 Likes

File / Composition to take away? MEP and ASM not pizza:)

1 Like

Thank you for the answer.

The pb of the take-home composition is that it will generate a lot of files.

I will quickly find myself with bags and bags of mozzarella and an unsuitable fridge size.

while in the spirit mozzarella can be used for all recipes.

Hello

Otherwise what works well is to copy and paste the ASM and drw into a folder on the desktop and rename it via Solidworks so that they keep the links and store them where you want. The links with the loans will be kept...

3 Likes

In fact, I am the administrator of the CAD fleet.

I created a small tool to be able to generate these ASMs. But the people who are going to use it don't necessarily have this kind of logic. in fact as an Admin, I am supposed to give them access to a turnkey ± tool.

In addition, the EPDM brings some restrictions that sometimes escape me (even me, who is supposed to be the winemaker of the software for my company), for the construction of this tool I used a save under which causes me problems because I can no longer archive.

So I'm more looking for a solution that, even if I have to tinker at first, must be simple for users I won't necessarily be part of.

However, I will try this last piece of advice.

Thank you for the answer

1 Like

I dare a stupid question ;-)

Why not generate the configurations with part family in Excel

Assemblies

You can control the following parameters in an assembly part family:

• Components – delete state, referenced configuration, fixed or free position
  • Assembly functions – dimensions, delete status, drill size from the Drilling Wizard
  • Constraints – Remote and Angle Stress Dimensions, Delete State
  • Configuration Properties – Part Number and Display in a BOM (when used in a subassembly), derived configurations, equations, sketch relationships, comments, custom properties, and display states.

See this link

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Design_Table_Configurations.htm

which would make boxes to be ticked 

Coin X Yes / No

and you would need all the elements installed in the assembly

@+ ;-)

I had indeed tried something like this when we were in 2010.

it was pretty good, but I remember tinkering with two or three formulas to make the implementation a little sexier, but it seems to me that the excel sheet linked to SW didn't like the formulas too much.

I will dig into this direction, but I have some fears about the management via EPDM. if I find myself with an ASM managed by a table, the evolutions and especially revision may pose a problem.

Do you have a link to a video tutorial link or anything in mind? I'm self-taught on SW so I'm certainly missing some basics...  but Utube is my friend.

Thank you for the answer, it looks more and more like what I'm looking for.