Model of the same name

Hello

One of my colleagues regularly has a window that opens with this message 

I checked, the file is indeed in a different place on the server but it would surprise me if it retrieved another one than the original. 

Do you have a 'miracle' solution? knowing that we don't have PDM. I don't know if a solidworks configuration allows you to shunt this message or if you can force a path to a 'Screws' folder in case of a dispute

Hello

I've had the same problem for a few days but I haven't found where it comes from. Especially since it is random or not depending on the blend.

For miracles I don't know ;-) it's probably a bit of a Lourdes solution but there is surely a technical explanation: but which one???

Kind regards

Hello, if the file is indeed in different places on the server and with the same name, this is a problem when they are used in different assemblies and opened at the same time.

By default, each file must have a unique name. If a file is a "standard" file (hardware, commercial part etc.) it should be stored in a special folder and always used from that location.

It is still possible to change the path for this type of file on the assemblies concerned, so that all of them point to the same place, one and the same file.

5 Likes

That's what I thought...

Do you have a solution to find the file/assembly that is causing the problem? or you have to search all the tree and check the file properties.

To change the file path, do you have to replace a component or do you have another solution?

These are recurring problems, especially in screws in my company. We have had Solidworks since 2000 and over the years we have a lot of duplication etc...

Especially the screw files, before instead of asking the other cartoonist we saved the file under another name (Vis TRCC folder XXX) But we have pack and go files that have been badly defined, files not renamed... A titanic work to put everything back on track and start again on a good basis.

Look for Miracle to increase the productivity of the BE and not to walk on water.

Hello

The miracle solution necessarily has a cost, it's called Epdm...

Otherwise look HERE and HERE, it looks a bit like your request.

Kind regards

1 Like

It depends on whether you work by business or by product.

First of all, you can try to clean up the case/product folder.

A good way to see where SW will take the files is to go by file/list external references (I'm not sure of the exact term and I don't have SW at hand). You can get the list and work on it with XL.

1 Like

A little addition, to hope to understand how SW works: http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Searching_for_Referenced_Documents.htm?id=bf69c5f4346342239b942e53cd95c741#Pg0

I did say hope...

1 Like

Hello

Otherwise the simplest at least (as long as the user who opens the file has the right to write on all the open subsets) is to open the screw files before opening anything, save everything (it will update the links) and do some cleaning would not be a luxury to already remove the duplicate screws (a folder scan via Excel in VBA it doesn't take much time).

Then put everything that is "off-the-shelf" component (screws...) in a single folder with limited write rights if necessary (this will avoid uncontrolled modifications) and then add this path to the design library in SW.

Bringing them back into line when there is a lot of difference is long anyway and depends on the age of the captain.

Edit: I'll also complete by saying that you should never create files with the same name when using SolidWorks (whether you work with SolidWorks PDM or not). It will open by default the first file it finds with the same no regardless of the storage link (if file already opened in another assembly)

2 Likes

We are in the process of recreating 'clean' screw files and with a very particular name, all we have to do is replace all the old ones with the new ones, which may take a little time. I'll have to come in early one morning to start the 'cleaning'.

Thank you for your answer, I put Cyril.f in the best answer.