Unstable model

Hello

Here is a modele of awning that must be installed on an existing framework.

The problem during the simulation is that the modele is unstable.

How to fix this problem (recurring)

Thank you for your help

auvent_2.0.sldprt

Hello Syltab,

A first check before embarking on the simulation on this kind of part. You insert it into an assembly to see if you have any interference.

and there you have one (in red) probably a material covering... Try to remove it before you start the simulation.

interference.jpg
3 Likes

Unstable? What does that mean?

Sorry, for this question I'm not an expert in simulation

Hello

Indeed, this happens frequently.

Here is another post on this subject: http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/generalites/simulation-sw-2015-modele-instable

or http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/ecoulement-des-fluides/simulation-en-poutre

or http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/rdm/simulation-mecano-soude

Another post of yours: http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/ecoulement-des-fluides/probleme-de-modele-instable

Personally I often try to change solver...

1 Like

Hello

What version of SolidWorks is it?

I can't open it with my 2014.

Version 2015

Did you manage to make the mesh despite this interference?

Given the thickness of the material, you need a very small mesh size, and given the complexity of the part you will spend days on it if you stay in volume.

Try to make a mixed mesh: beam for the profile + shell for the sheet metal + volume. with constraints of contact between sets.

And if it's possible to make a symmetry hypothesis, cut your model in half and make a simulation on one half. You'll save half the meshing time and computation time!

2 Likes

yes the mesh is done without problem

I switched to volume, because I noticed that the results are more precise and this is closer to reality

My problem may come from the fact that I have badly defined the bolt connectors? compared to surfaces that are not in contact

makes a coarse mesh (to save time) and tries to run the solver.

then by iterations you modify one parameter per parameter (to find what is currently bothering you). You find in which configurations your model is stable and then you go back to your initial mesh to make your calculation.

ok, I'll try thank you

My mistake comes from the fact that my bolts tighten 3 pieces, for sure, and I don't know what to put as a contact for  the faces that are tightened (I put a contact without penetration), and it doesn't work

And for the others I have a 2 mm clearance between the faces, for the mounting, and it's the same, the conctact is without penetration, but it doesn't work.

Unfortunately I have not found on the net, a topic that deals with the different configurations of bolt connectors on solidworks.

Two parts that are tightened by bolts, I manage, but I don't know.

Thank you for your help and for your solutions 

Hello

Normally there is no problem with bolts that tighten 3 pieces, on the other hand you have to try by removing the 2mm for the simulation.

First of all, maybe you should do a study without the bolts (integral parts) to see if it already works like that, then add the bolts (by removing the attached parts).

There is one option that can remove the instability, and that is "use low stiffness to stabilize the model"

Can we get an overview of boundary conditions and contacts?

Why not use the beams and shells?

2 Likes

Hello Yoann,

thank you for the clarifications,

I have transformed, in volume, and shell for the resolution of the study

For the clamping of the 3 parts, should I keep the contacts without penetrations on the tight faces?

For the 2 mm clearance, you have to remove it on the model, to simulate the bolts?

Am I not mistaken?

Yes for the 2 questions

1 Like

Thank you

I will try

Hi all

The problem came from the fact that some bolts tighten 3 pieces, and when this is the case you have to activate the bolt series option and define the holes of the 3 pieces where the bolt passes

Thank you all and good luck