3D modeling of 1/4 turning staircase stringer

Hi all

Here I explain my problem:

I am currently a CPI student in alternance in an Indoor/Outdoor decoration company.

At the moment I am working on the modeling of a 1/4 turning staircase using the Solidworks 2013 software.

I block on the twisting part of the stringers.

Is it possible to bend it once the unfolded stringer has been extruded?

Thank you for your answers.

limon_ext._esquisse.png
1 Like

Have you seen this question: http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/limon-escalier-tournant

It brings together several answers and leads to other questions on the same subject.

4 Likes

Hello

You can find a tutorial for a stringer staircase here:

http://www.mycadblog.fr/wp-content/uploads/tuto-limon.zip

And the image:

http://i2.wp.com/www.mycadblog.fr/wp-content/uploads/HPIM71661.jpg

3 Likes

Want to bend the stringer once the unfolded stringer is extruded???

I didn't understand everything^^

1 Like

Hello

Something like that?

Did someone post about it last week!!!

sw01.png
2 Likes

The best way to unfold is to go through the sheet metal module, and to make a swept bent sheet

Make your 3D sketch and swing your profile on your stringer

1 Like

Or conversely, draw your stringer flat, extrude it, cut it according to the curves it must have

then convert it into sheet metal, and insert folds to unfold it

1 Like

Thank you for the link Benoit.LF, I'll dig around a bit.

1 Like

If it is the development of the stringer that you draw directly, to fold it you will have to draw exactly the fold lines and insert folds with angles to be filled in! for right-angled pieces it's easy but for a stringer where I think there will be regular curves it becomes a little more laborious!! It is better to go straight to the sheet metal work!!

1 Like

In fact I was sent the outline of the stringers unfolded in . DXF, so I opened a drawing with the drawings and simply copy/paste in sketch to finish with an extruded base/boss.

For the moment I only have an unfolder without sides and for simple information a radius and a distance (see sketch image).

1 Like

At this point, you can maybe use the winding function to project this sketch on a cylinder that has the radius of the finished part, and it can be a good basis to work on to go to sheet metal afterwards!!

Can you attach your file?

sw02.jpg
5 Likes

Hello

I don't know solidworks and therefore I can't help you with the software (I work with Inventor).

First remark on the drawing of the sketch, it is composed of two straight parts (at the beginning and at the back) as well as a wider part in the middle.

This makes me think that we are in the presence of a spiral staircase and not a spiral staircase, otherwise it would simply be of a straight line.

Could you give us a little more information about your staircase (seen from above for example).

Otherwise I work as a draughtsman/coceptor in a factory that makes stairs so I could certainly help you to draw it.

Kind regards

Hi @ Wanper

at the sight of your unfolded plan, and at your explanations

You say you have odds if you are on the right scale one is enough

I think that your discontinuous line corresponds to your 1/4 rotating therefore your 1/4 circle

to know if it is the internal or external silt

the width of your staircase between stringers

the height of it 

the angle of it

so yes as Be3 says you can copy this part and roll it up on a circular section of a perimeter corresponding to 4 times the length of your discontinuous line via the appropriate tool show in its jpeg

and the same on tangent perpendicular planes for the straight parts

you converted the whole thing into a 3D sketch

then you make a shift

for the rest the threads on the site talk about it and have already been developed

Have a nice day

@+ ;-)

Ok, thanks for all your answers, I'll try everything this morning and give you news.

( I attach the .step )

limon_ext._int.. Step

Hi, I just tried your press with the "winding" function does nikel work!!! Just draw

and to give volume to your projected on a top view of your stringer! Good luck a+

sw03.jpg
1 Like

Thank you very much!

it's all good, I succeeded in my 3D modeling.

A big thank you to all of you for helping me!

assemblage.png
1 Like