Model a moulding that follows a path

Hello

I'm looking to model a moulding that will follow my room into space. I struggle with the "swept material removal" function, but I can't get back to what I want. As an example, I drew two connected arches on one side of my volume, and I would like to "hollow" my block with this moulding, for example by following an arc of a circle.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

linteau.jpg

Hello

Have you tried with removal of matter revolution.

may the force be with you.

3 Likes

Hello

or there is the removal of swept material

We would need the messages/errors you have.

The removal of swept material is not a particularly demanding function, it is just necessary that the end of the trajectory is in the plane of the section, that the section is clean (be careful with tangent circles, does this section work for a basic extrusion?).

Attached is a working part (SW12)

Part1.SLDPRT
2 Likes

Hello

With the swept material removal function it goes by itself, you select your profile sketch and then stop it.  If you make a sketch for the trajectory it must be in raw line and not in construction line.

If you have more complex shapes, you also have an option in material removal-Smoothing, you have to check construction line after selecting your trajectory.

capture-2.jpg

The swept one works more or less, but he refuses to take the moulding to the end. And I'm trying out the revolution;)

linteau_balayage.jpg

Hello 

From your screenshot, you just have a sketch that represents the shape to be removed but no sketch for the trajectory.

In the simple case where the path is on the same plane, you just have to create a sketch and convert all the entities you are interested in.

Then in the function you just have to select the 2 sketches you want, 1 for the trajectory and one for the shape (moulding)

1 Like

With their new policy, I replied under the pseudonym of my company Saxh.o just at the top, even though we have only one account... don't get it

1 Like

So, taking the trajectory as a sketch in its own right, I come back to the same problem... Yet it's the same as in your example stefbeno!

linteau_balayage_bis.jpg

Well, by just asking to follow the trajectory, I end up with that.

WTF?

linteau_balayage_ter.jpg

And after studying the stefbeno model, there is the same problem: basically, when it reaches the end of its trajectory, the section does not parallel to the plane.

exemple_balayage.jpg

Which version of Solidworks are you on??? Can you post your piece for us to take a look at???

It's normal that you can't do it, your trajectory is not perpendicular  to your trajectory and in this specific case you should also lengthen the extremities with lines.

At the beginning of this new trajectory you have to create a plan by selecting the end and the trajectory (the end of the line you added) And only then you can add your "router tool"

If your outline started with a straight line perpendicular to your tool sketch, it would have worked without adding anything 

5 Likes

I just did the test under SW2018 obviously no need to extend the curve it manages by itself. But this should not be the case for older versions.

But in any case, your tool sketch must be perpendicular otherwise it won't reflect reality.

4 Likes

after some new test under SW2018 I don't have to use a sketch for the trajectory (but more practical in my opinion, especially if it's complex)

For the end of your trajectory  you probably have an option "Align with end faces"

1 Like

Assuming that the tool shape should be perpendicular to the path, here's what it looks like with and without the option.

So to see what you have on your 2015 version (at the bottom of the screen is written XD)

5 Likes

Hi, thank you for all these clarifications! Despite everything, I have the impression that the 2015 version is very different from your 2018 version

What is the router tool? I just start with a "molding" sketch, then another "trajectory" sketch. I have to choose "twist along the trajectory" to get something drinkable, and nowhere the alignment option...

Here's the document, if you can take a look. Thank you for your help!

linteau_bis.sldprt

To do this, you simply need to make half a piece, and then after doing your Material Removal-Sweep, you make a symmetry of the body. This will prevent the two Material Removal-Scan functions from overlapping.

1 Like

Yes, your method works well, or by taking the full circle as a trajectory, it seems to disturb the software less, and it ends as it should on my face! Thank you for your help;)

so as not to be embarrassed with this type of problem

A simple solution is to extend your arc at each end

and start the removal of swept material out of the room

@+ ;-)

2 Likes