Modeling a padded sheet metal

Hello everyone, I'm looking to model a pillow jacket or dample jacket on SW, and I really don't see how to go about it, it would cover a cone of Ø 600 and 114 and ht 350... 

A big thank you to those who will give me some tips to move forward...

Hello

Why not try with a texture?

cb0375376bbb66dad4d502cf137f3230--plates-pillows.jpg
3 Likes

If it's just for the rendering, go through the textures as @fred17100 suggests.

If you really need a detailed model, it's going to be complicated and GT22 with his mastery of the surface will be able to give us a method of which he has the secret but depending on the size of the quilting mesh, I'm afraid that your machine will ask for mercy...

4 Likes

Hello @  thibcapelli 

Do you have at least an image of the type of quilting (square diamond, rectangular etc.....)

and the sides you want for the quilting and thickness of sheet metal

+ on a cone I guess it would take decreasing size

@+;-)

2 Likes

Hello@Thib

If you have the 2019 version then just use the 3D texture function and you get your part in relief so 3D printable for example. It is indeed 3D and not the mapping of an image as for the representation of threads for example.

Kind regards

- see the attachment

2019-12-17_12_35_15-nouveautes_solidworks_2019_episode_4_8_-_youtube.jpg
1 Like

Hello, this is a sheet welded by welds plugs on a cone, it is a cooling system. Holes Ø14.Résultat de recherche d'images pour "tole matelassée"r

A better explanation is necessary for me

to be able to help you

@+

Ben! Uh! as we would say @gt22 an additional explanation would gladly save us a migraine  ;-)   can you make an effort to describe or a freehand crobard

What I understand is that your sheet metal is bought in the store. If it remains flat once welded on your cone, it means that they are pieces of sheet metal welded on the cone, in this case you just need a mapped image.

On the other hand, if you want to take into account the embossing for your cap weld, the easiest way is to make a form tool to have your embossing right at the place of the weld or to use the embossing function since the shape is not complicated.

Give us the address of your picture STP and is this the kind of sheet metal you want to make

Brief! We are like a broken down truck, lost in apples to help you out.

1 Like

What surprises me is the +

it is at each station for a cooling system

cooling of what why

the power needed

etc.....

Good evening GT22

look at this but especially what it can do on a cone

2 Likes

Good evening  Zozo_mp, that's exactly it! 15/10th thick sheet metal in 304L stainless steel used to cool a milk storage tank (100 liters at 4°C).

The sheet metal is not bought in the shops, it is cut by laser then welded on the tank and finally hydroformed to create daylight (more than 5mm) between the two sheets. 

Hello Thib

I'm looking at how to do it like the attached  image ;-)

I'm looking for a simple solution without using the surface.

See you later ;-)

I love companies that achieve such mastery and as the dj'eunss say: there!I really love it

2019-12-18_11_09_25-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_tole_a_coussins.sldprt.jpg
1 Like

A piece in this style ?

Sectional view

after a few tries not so simple ;-(

@+ ;-)

4 Likes

Bravo  @gt22 you're fortuitous ;-)

Here is my meagre contribution made without surface but I am missing some elements.

I think that the simplest, if the sheet metal functions allow it, is to use the stamping tool (in the toolbox) by working on the cone flank flattened and then reformatting. To make your life easier, you have to make halves (or thirds) of cone presses and then assemble them.

What we don't know is if it's to go all the way to the MEP or if it's to make a pretty presentation.

Kind regards

2019-12-18_19_23_42-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_tole_matelassee_v1___zzmp_test2.jpg
4 Likes

Hi gt22, yes that's exactly it, did you do it in surface or in sheet metal??  

Can you tell me how to proceed??  

In volume at the start 

to model punches 

after recovering the outer surface and thickening 

to stay within the limits with regard to the required dimensions

@+

2 Likes

Good evening @GT22

Does this mean that there is no overhaul for the MEP?

Kind regards

PS: @Thib would have to specify what he wants for the MEP (only 3D or also flattening since he does laser cutting of sheet metal.)

Hi @ Zozo 

for the moment I have only created the 3 D

and still pretty much I don't like it + than that

since the part must be created via thermoforming

so how to make this type of part

It seems to me that thermoforming should be done downstream of the cap welds

so for the drawing

Create 1/2mm offset cone

Weld the plugs 

by trying to respect a balance of deviation 

Minimal sheet metal 

and after thermoforming between the sheets 

Unless I don't understand anything about the problem posed 

@+

1 Like

Hello @gt 22

It's not thermoforming, but a technique comparable to hydroforming, in plain English, you weld two sheets together at the periphery, and in our case, in addition, you weld circular areas (a bit like if you were doing spot welding between the two sheets), then you send compressed air under pressure of N bars and your sheet metal swells under the pressure. But where the @thib company is fortunate is that only the outer sheet must be deformed. The allusion to the mattress is that in the past, there was a cotton strap that connected the two sides of the mattress and gave it this characteristic shape with these small hollows every 40 to 50 cm to the old mattresses.

What is the point of such an assembly and well once you have removed the air and therefore you have a tank with an inner envelope that contains the milk and in the meantime with the second sheet you circulate a refrigerant liquid to keep the milk at 4°. So you have a maximum exchange  surface between the inner sheet and the milk. The slight circulation of milk is done by thermo-conduction between the cold areas and those that are supposed to warm up. The great thing is that if there is to be heating of the milk, it can only come from the outside and since it is the outside that is cold, the milk cannot warm up as long as the cooled liquid circulates between the two sheets. So instead of insulating your tank and putting an exchanger inside to refrigerate the milk (which poses a lot of hygiene and cleaning problems) you have an empty tank and a refrigerated envelope.

Wouala!

2 Likes

Yes, I understood correctly

but still some additional info

error between the term thermo and hygro ;-(

but it is this principle that I had understood

with the few neurons I have left ;-)

I think they have to play

via sheets of different thicknesses 

the thickness of the tank must be more substantial in my opinion

@+;-)

1 Like