3D Link Editing/Drawing

Hello

Here's my problem:

As a SolidWorks user, I created a project folder for the realization of a prototype.

Once the prototype was made, I created a new folder by duplicating it but with a new reference of the assembly, a serial reference in a way.

Recently, I made some changes in the serial folder, I consider the prototype folder to be fixed.

When I want to update some of the assembly plans, I want to change the references of the links with the 3D.

Is there a simple way to do it by keeping the two folders and without touching the prototype folder or completely redoing the plans?

Usually, when I want to change this link, I open the plane, and then the element that comes from it, and I save the 3D under a different name, so the plane saves with the new link, but in this case the 3D already exists and is different.

Thank you.

Hello

Have you tried a "Composition to go" (see attached file)

In SolidWorks, open your assembly, then Open File, Take-Home Publication.

A sign is coming, it's up to you...

composition.jpg
2 Likes

By the way, here is a link that explains in detail the compositions to take with you in SolidWorks

2 Likes

Hello

The manipulation you use to change the reference of a drawing seems quite risky to me, here is what is usually recommended:

Problem: How do I change the reference from a drawing to a new similar part to save time by not starting from the beginning to create the drawing?

Solution: Let's take the case of a room A and its drawing A', there is a similar room named B
Via Windows Explorer, you have to copy the drawing file A' and rename it to B'
Then you have to go to: Open, click once on the drawing and click on the button: Reference
In the window, you have to double click on the file that appears, and browse to room B'
Then you have to Open and save the file to permanently change the links.
Hoping that this can help.
Have a nice day
Mickael
1 Like

Hello

I think both methods are good. after all, it all depends on the number of MEPs.

I use the one described by Yves if I have a complete file to copy and modify (passing a hint for example), all the links are recreated automatically which avoids doing Mickael's manipulation for each MEP.

After that, if I only have 2-3 MEP, Mickael's method works very well. I also use it for MEPs of rooms that look very similar, so there are only a few dimensions or annotations to update. This avoids starting from scratch.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers,  it's perfect.