Modify the construction of a file without losing assembly constraints

Hi all

I modeled a part with a welded construction tool. I realize that this is a mistake and that I would have been better off doing a sheet metal work. So I have to modify my first function, which will make a big mess. This piece is present in many assemblages. Is there a way to match faces so that my assemblies are not affected? Maybe by matching the faces?

Thank you very much.

Good evening

a small image otherwise difficult to know what you are talking about ;-)

Kind regards

2 Likes

To my knowledge: no.
Even if I convert it to a sheet metal part (instead of redoing the first function), I think the constraints will lose their little ones.

2 Likes

Hello

If it's for a lot of assemblies, it would be possible to do it by macros. Otherwise, you might as well do it manually.

1 Like

Hello @ Romée

As rightly points out @stefbeno you risk losing your constraints.

But normally with the "replace components" function, if it can't find the face in the asm, it offers you either to isolate it or to select the missing faces.

This feature doesn't care if it's volume, sheet metal, or soft caramel. He considers a part with constraints and that's all that already simplifies the problem a little.

I did a mini test with Three Constraints    (see the attached PDF for better readability)

-Face
-Parallel
-Coaxial

Part 1 is a sheet metal part

Piece 3 is a volume piece.

I selectively replaced only one of the two parts N°1 part  that I replaced with a N°3.

It works, but only if you clearly identify the order of the constraints of the part to be changed for each ASM (here the 1 changed to 3)

Indeed, the "replace components" function has its own logic, which means that you should not choose the proposed order but the one that allows you to align as you want.
Otherwise, it doesn't always align the constraints correctly.

Obviously it all depends on the number of constraints you have on this part (here I only have three and they are simple constraints).

The key is to know if it is easier to insert the component by hand and do the constraints by hand or to use the "replace components" function because the constraints are sometimes scattered in the creation tree, especially if they are different ASMs.

(( By the way I think that because from one asm to another the constraints will not be in the same place, it probably makes the use of a macro difficult or even impossible but I'm a marble in macro))

The "replace components"  function makes you work hard but you have to understand how the replacement of constraints works that it does not find on its own.

On the other hand, for the multiple ASMs in which the part is located, nothing except to change all the active ASMs by hand and leave the old ASMs aside, but that's you who know;-)

Here is a possible answer ;-)

Kind regards

remplacement_dans_asm.pdf
2 Likes

The solution (but you should have thought about it much earlier) would have been to use simple geometric elements: sketches, 3d sketches, planes, straight lines as references to position your part in the assembly: so whatever the volume that is built afterwards, your points/lines/planes... remain valid.

Another advantage of this solution: if it is done well, the pilot sketch (or pilot sketches) allows you to easily modify the part in case of later copying: the functions are controlled by the points and planes (extrude to point instead of entering a dimension).

On the other hand, it takes some practice because 3D sketching can quickly be quite complicated.

1 Like

Hello

Alas, no, as far as I know

As Froussel said, the fact of constraining as much as possible in relation to the original plane  or offset plane, primary sketches...   allows you not  to lose the constraints in case of function removal.

All functional faces are represented by  a plan. Overall dimensions by sketches

On the other hand , we stopped working with 3D  sketches, they required too much rigor and our designers are not all  used to working with them.

Cdlt

Thank you everyone. 
In construction methodology, I try as much as possible to refer to the neutral elements of a file and it has been useful to me more than once.

For my problem, a manual replacement was the most effective.

Thank you all 

1 Like