Change the origin position of a part

Hello

I'm currently working on parts that come from Shark for modification on SolidWorks (via step file that I'm modifying). These parts have very badly placed origins and I wanted to know if it was possible to simply change their positions to X;Y and Z. (I specify that I am not in assembly but in part)

Thanks in advance

Have a nice day!

Hello

You can always change the location of the origin ^_^

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Changing_the_Origin_Location_and_Orientation.htm

If you're working from a STEP, why not save it as a PART, insert it into a blend, place it as you want it and re-record it as a PART to finish.

1 Like

Hello

I think the only solution is to edit the sketch and constrain it with respect to the original point formed by the reference planes (face/top/right)

Hello

An import step part can be moved back to the origin with the option moved bodies (insert =>function=> move bodies).

may the force be with you.

8 Likes

I'll take the liberty of moving up this thread but... THANK YOU 1000 times OBI WAN really thank you!!

To explain, it can be useful:

We designed an injected plastic part (with fixing wells, drafts etc...) a good big baby well fleshed out in dimensions during the drawing.

After sending the file to the supplier, he sends it back to us barely modified to match their fab technique in step format. When I replace the model in the drawing, the views go loose because the origins of the step piece are in the cabbage. As a result, the quotes are all loose.

Thanks to the Body - Move/Copy feature in SolidWorks 2016, it was easy to put the correct origins back in the center of the part and in the right direction. Unfortunately the grades have changed to brown but at least they point to the right place.

1 Like