Edit an stl file from thingiverse

Hello 

I got an STL file, the problem is that it's a bit too small. 

I can't change it in Solidworks. I would like to remove 2-3 mm on two parts. 

I'm new to solidworks. I'm sure it can't be hard, but I would really like to learn how to do it, and not for someone to do it for me. 

Thanks in advance for the help. If needed, I can provide the thingiverse link, or even the stl. 

Hello

Could you share your file with a screen print of what you would like to have in order to better guide you in your learning.

1 Like

First of all, the stl file must be imported as a volume body or at the surface boundary (but it will be more complicated to modify it).

By default, stls are imported as a graphics body.

2 Likes

Hello 

First of all, the file must be in volume 

@+

hello

Personally, solidworks is not made to open and work with STL. I've already tried without success.

making a 3D and exporting in STL works well though.

to modify the STL I go through meshmixer, there are video tutorials on the net it's not super complicated.

Hello, here is the link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1216409 

I also put the STL in the PC.

In fact the notch to put the watch is too thin, it would have to be opened 3mm more towards the front side (so as not to have to modify the other part inside. 

I had thought of making a rectangular sketch all the way through the notch, extruding it so that it goes to the other side and removing the material from this rectangle but I can't  do it:(:(

apple_watch_dock_shell_-_thingiverse.stl

See this link

To import and edit neutral files

https://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/limportation-de-fichiers-neutre-solidworks

@+

I tested like the video but it doesn't work at all. He doesn't offer me the feature at all. I don't really know why

Which SW version do you have?

The 2019

And on MeshMixer, I can't cut cleanly, it modifies the whole room

Thank you

I was asking you for the standard / pro /or premium version of SW

by clicking on your link is it a charging station?

Solidworks Premium 2019 SP1.

yes it's a charging station, it's super well made but for the watch 39mm and I have the 42... so it doesn't fit, it's missing 3mm. the rest is all good. I broke the part that represents the screen, beyond that everything else is great. Is it very practical  (and fun):)

well I downloaded your piece

and converted to volume 

and remove all the vacuum volumes

only 2 1/2 volumes remain

that I merged via combine

and test the remaining volume by making a hole in the front and it works

See attached image

here is the file in SW premium 2017

@+ ;-)

apple_watch_dock_shell_-_thingiverse_test_gt22.sldprt

Well, a response to the follow-up is I think  de rigueur 

@+

Well hello, a little trick that I used a short time ago for one of my clients, is to open his stl (triangle facets) then save in Step and then re-open in SW, which reduced the triangle effect.

To try

Hello. It's weird I had alerts at the beginning and then more...  

anyway thank you gt22. Can you tell me how you did it? 

1 Like

Hi @ hubremy

I explained it to you in my message

you download your stp the stock on your pc

then via SW you take this STP back in import via the volume option

then you find yourself x volume some of which are empty why ??????

so you remove all the empty volume

After option combine so that there is no

only 1 volume 

and view my file 

@+ ;-)

edit: sorry I didn't see the 2nd page......

Mesh mixer you're going to cut with a plan but the modifications are not solidworks, it doesn't work the same.

You go to the Solidworks Systems / Import/ options Select the STL file format in the drop-down tab.

there you have the choice between

Graphic body: default choice, light but you can't do anything with it

Surface body: you'll have surfaces but to cut you'll have to do surface.

Volumetric body: it will create a full volume (if it can .....) and you will be able to do functions.

This modification changes the opening settings of the file concerned, it will be activated every time you open a file of this type.

On the other hand in your place I wouldn't place too much hope on the modification of stl, it's of the graphic body and a design complete different from the solidworks operating method.

What you can also do if you import the graphic body is to completely redraw the part on top.

Good luck.

stl.jpg

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to spend a few nights there:):) 

Hello

You open the stl in volume and you can modify it, scale it

, cutting, extrusions

apple_watch.jpg