3D File Name vs Drawing

Hello

What is the methodology to be applied to easily find a document?

I need to have a Plan Number (without unnecessary terms, so no description or other)

Solution 1:

- If an ASM is called "PJ1-Chassis_surpresseur.sldasm" and its DRAW is called "PJ1-Chassis_surpresseur.slddrw", in this case, the Drawing Number is present in the title block (entered manually, for example "PJ1-1" in the DRAW because I don't want a link with a property of the ASM since it would mean that if I make another drawing of this chassis (or a drawing with several chassis, range plan for example) I end up with the same number.

My problem: With this solution, when I am told on the phone about this plan or I have its paper version in hand, I am not able to find the source file since I am told its number and it is nowhere in the file name. On the other hand, this method has the advantage of easily making the connection between a part/assembly, and its plan. This even allows you to open quickly from 3D via the dedicated icon.

Solution 2, The solution I found but...

- If an ASM is called "PJ1- Chassis_surpresseur.sldasm" and its DRAW is called "PJ1-1.slddrw", in this case, the Plan Number is directly related to the name of the Draw file and is therefore auto-populated.

My problem: The names being totally different, it's complicated to find the plan of a room or asm, and it has become impossible to open the plan of a model from 3D, the names being different.

But now when I am told on the phone about this plan or when I have its paper version in hand, I can find the source file easily since I am told its number and that is the name of the file. It often happens that we make plans of a family to present a range for example, or an installation plan, so with this solution it is one more plan that does not have the name of asm or part since it concerns several of them.

I recently created a Macro that exports a ZIP (including PDF/DXF/PDF3D/STEP), in this example "PJ1-1.zip"

A solution 3 would be to put the number also on the parts / asm, for example "PJ1-1 - Chassis_surpresseur.sldasm" and "PJ1-1.slddraw" to make the comparison but this requires a rigor in the numbering. And in addition, what would be the name of the range or installation plans, differently necessarily.

I don't know if I'm clear...

I believe that SmartProperties MyCADtools utility allows you to answer the problem but how do you do without it?

What is your methodology, File Name - Naming, Plan Number - Numbering.

Thank you!

Hello

Clearly your problem is to easily find a plan anywhere via its paper version? If I understood correctly?

We put this formula in our background $PRP:"SW-Folder Name$PRP:"SW-File Name" which gives the path where the file is stored as well as its name.

As for the naming; we call all our SLDDRW files after the name of the SLDPRT or SLDASM file and when there are several MEPs to be made we add tabs to the MEP and we rename them.

1 Like

Hello @ac cobra 427    ;-)

How do you add tabs to the MEP (I'm interested)    ;-)

Kind regards

Hello zozo_mp,

Just right-click on the Sheet 1 tab and have a sheet added or copy then paste or CTRL-C then CTRL-V also works and then I rename them according to what they contain (configuration or details) 

2 Likes

@ac Cobra 427

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Kind regards

1 Like

I think about putting the path at the bottom of the cartridge but that doesn't solve the naming of the file. If your draw has the same name as the ASM PRTs, how do you name them? What is your method for numbering files.

Indeed, the PDF export of a file with the same name poses a problem.

For the addition of sheets I am not in favor because the plan indeed uses the same assembly but has nothing to do in terms of information. It is indeed another plan that is needed with a different Plan Number

The ASM and its MEP have the same name of the Hopper-business number style and the PRT and their DRW also have the same Rep 1 style number - Hopper Business Number and store everything in a sub-folder of the customer with the customer's business number.

I do this way currently but in the English way so with your example the ASM and its MEP would be "Deal-Hopper" and for the PRTs "Deal-Hopper-part1"

But how is your plan number? Currently I use a property of the ASM or PRT called "Number" and that I have linked in the cartridge. But since this number only appears there, then it's not easy to find it.

For this example, the draw of the "Deal-Hopper-part1" PRT will return the Number property "PJ1-1" in the cartridge. This number is used by the ERP and suppliers, because I generate a ZIP containing everything necessary for manufacturing. All my other documents such as Schematics, PLC programs, etc. have this kind of numbering. So I don't want the number to be "Deal-Hopper-part1"

You could combine by naming the plan Deal-Number of G/E or  part (-designation).
The asm/prt is named Number(-designation).

I have put the designation in parentheses because it is often a source of error.

So you have all the links (visually) but you lose some of SW's automatisms.
You will just have to juggle between parts properties/asm ($PRPSHEET) and drw properties ($PRP):
- in ASM/PRT: number, designation, etc (everything that is common to all cases)
- in DRW: deal, client, etc (anything specific to the deal).

If I understand correctly, the idea is to have only the Number in file name and the same between a 3D model and its plan. (no designation on the draw file since it is the one I call in my cartridge for the Plan Number.

Example : 

"PJ1-91-00.sldasm" would have its plan "PJ1-91-00.slddrw" and therefore in the cartridge the name of the Draw without the file extension: PJ1-91-00

"PJ1-91-01.sldprt" would have its plan "PJ1-91-01.slddrw" and therefore in the cartouche the name of the Draw without the file extension: PJ1-91-01

The designation is entered in the model property.

Work only with numbers and no text like "support this" or "reinforcement that". It suits me well but it's frustrating not to see the designation anyway.

For this, a solution would be to fill in the "TITLE" field in the Property Summary tab. This allows it to be seen in Windows Explorer by bringing up this "Title" column.