Optimize PC Power [SW]

Hi all!

I recently invested in a PC in order to use SW personally (to regain control of the software).

Anyway, after a lot of advice, I bought the following PC: LINK

But unfortunately I should have pushed my research a little further... Indeed, I was able to understand that my PC is perfect for gaming but pretty bad for CAD...

What parameters can I "play" with in order to optimize CAD performance? (I'm not a big player, so to cushion it...)

Configuration level:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
  • Video card: 
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

There you have it... Thank you for your advice!

Hello

If it's just to take control of the software (so to do "mumuse") it must be able to run on your config, not optimally of course. If it's for a little more advanced use, I would tend to say:

- the processor: take i7

- the graphics card: take a certified card

- RAM: 16GB mini

So change of PC.

It's really related to what you're going to ask Solidworks.

For your information, I saw Solidworks running (correctly) on i5 with 8GB of RAM and an integrated intel HD card...

Kind regards

2 Likes

on the proc there is an hd 630 so SW compatible

See here  http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

so it should theoretically work

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Budget version: As offered @GT22, disable the GeForce card and use the Intel chipset when using SW.

A slightly more expensive version: sell the GeForce card second-hand and buy a SW certified card.

At home I have an i7 with 8GB and I realize compared to the desktop machines (some are older and have proc close to the i5) that it's the graphics card that makes the difference. I had the opportunity to test, following the failure of the certified card, a regular card, it was all the more obvious.

1 Like

Hello, the small clarification on the processors, the cache is important so why an i7 2.9GHz is better than an i5 2.9GHz, because the cache is almost doubled

in general in max i3 6MB  of cache i5 8MB and i7 15MB

for SW no need for excessive multicor except in case of simulation use.

I personally have an ASUS gaming pc with an i7 8 core 3.4GHz and 15 MB cache, it is old but I will not change for an i7 3.9Ghz with just 10MB of cache.

then the virtual memory must be 1.5 x mini the amount of Ram, and the ram in 2016 is 16GB mini.

graphics card look in the list of solidworks drivers sometimes allows you to find a card that is not too expensive and works well, but a K620 quadro (not too expensive) is comfortable on assy 1000 parts

The Geforce to keep for a pc that only reads edrawing, it's better than a pro card for that

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers, the problem was simply that the Intel graphics card turned on when Solidworks was launched instead of starting the NVIDIA card. To fix this:

Right-click on desktop -> NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program settings -> Add Program (SW) -> "2.Select the preferred GPU for this program": "NVIDIA processor other performance"

Now it's perfect ;)!

(On the other hand I don't know how to close my question with the new version of Lynkoa...)