What is the 2D to 3D tool from Solidworks used for?

Hello

I'm trying to find out what the 2D to 3D tools of Solidworks are for.

I understood that you could fold sketches into different planes (Face, Right, Top,...)

I imagine that you can put an Autocad drawing with several views in sketch and fold the views; But what is the point of SW?

It seems tedious to me to then take the views to recreate the piece.

Is anyone using these tools?

I have an example attached of a sketch brought back to 3 different planes

1.png
1 Like

well you understood everything, it is used to redo roughly from a 2D "autocad" plan to a 3D solidworks by folding the sketches according to the faces and then we extrude or remove according to the desired length.

On the other hand I don't use it, so to tell you that it goes faster, personally I don't think so, but it's a good tool!

sorry I don't think it answers your question but if it helps?

1 Like
Well it's very useful when you have 2D plans made with drafix under Windows NT. The software allows you to convert the 3D specific file not recognized by sw into 2D and the solidworks function allows you to avoid redrawing everything. Same for old autocad plans. Of course, for a simple drawing it's faster to draw it
2 Likes

Hello

Agree with the previous 2 comments. I would add that the recovered sketches are not dimensioned or constrained, so everything has to be redimensioned by hand. I think that for complicated pieces it's not very manageable, let alone an overall plan (!). For simple parts, it is faster to remake the part following one's own logic and design intentions for future modifications.

In my opinion, it's a tool for demos, but I could be wrong.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello

I think this tool was created mainly to reassure people moving from 2D to 3D, by showing them the procedure to follow to take AutoCAD plans in SolidWorks.

But it's for beginners only, as soon as you know a little about SolidWorks, you should avoid these tools!

2 Likes

I admit that I used it at the beginning to recover my 2D plans but there is "as jmsavoyat specifies" a cruel lack of side. In addition, one time out of 10 the sketch is linked to the origin, so the other 9 times it is necessary to set the side in automatic to constrain the sketch, then to work to reattach to the origin.

For my part, I did this for inch shots, and I very quickly understood that it was better for me to redraw rather than use this method.

@lucas I don't even know if we can recommend it to a beginner, because it's not that simple. 

2 Likes

I think this tool was created mainly to reassure people moving from 2D to 3D, by showing them the procedure to follow to take AutoCAD plans in SolidWorks.

That's how it was presented in 2005.

thanks to these tools, the customer is supposed to easily take over his 2D plans for a 3D migration

In theory it's good...

In practice, it is rather:

We try it once to see how it works

We struggle

the piece and the plan are redone from a blank sheet of paper

We hear that these tools exist.

But it's for beginners only, as soon as you know a little about SolidWorks, you should avoid these tools!

I wouldn't even advise a beginner.

3 Likes