Opening N+1 Version Files with N Version

Following PL's answer to this question http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/solidworks/solidworks-2016

Is this behavior (opening version N+1 with the last SP of version N) generalizable to older versions?

I still have customers who work in SW2012 (yes, yes you read that right) and a bad choice of icon when opening is quickly made.

knowing that in general my files don't especially use the functions really specific to the new versions.

Hello

Yes, see here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/french/WhatsNew/c_previous_release_interoperability.htm

"Starting with SolidWorks 2012, you can open a file from a later version in Service Pack 5 of the previous version. For example, you will be able to open SolidWorks 2014 files in SolidWorks 2013. Interoperability is only supported for consecutive releases. For example, you cannot open a SolidWorks 2014 file in SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5."

But it depends, which version do you have? Basically, if they are in 2012 SP5, they can open files created in 2013.

2 Likes

for the moment we have from 2015SP5 to 2010!

The idea was:

I have a 2015 file,

I open it with 2014SP5 and save it (so they become 2014),

I open this last file with 2013 etc.

Am I losing anything?

As said here:http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/solidworks/solidworks-2016#answer-623496

You can open a file with an N-1 version, but not save it.

It was a good idea, but it won't work.

2 Likes

Hello

In fact, solidworks of a lower version will just be able to open the file (of a future version) but we won't be able to do anything with it, it's a solid "dead". You can't save it in the lower version, let alone get the build tree back. It's just visual. 

1 Like

Yes, as I said in an answer on the other question, it can be used to use the parts in an assembly, but no more!

1 Like

@ Stefbeno it's to be tested but I think there will be some losses and I have the impression that you will have dead volumes

Why not record in Parasolid

or go through OnShape which is able according to what I understand to recognize the functions of different SW versions so your file you send it to onshape 

and take over this onshape file by your client when opening on SW

In theory you shouldn't lose anything

Give it a try and tell us

Importing and exporting files

You can import and export many types of files, not just CAD files. When importing CAD files, Onshape automatically writes back to Onshape's internal format. When exporting files, you can export to another CAD format, as well as simply upload non-CAD files.  See the links below.

• Import - Uploads any type of file into Onshape, either as its own document, or into an existing document. If the file is a CAD file, it will be automatically converted to Onshape format.
  • Download - Copy any file that has been imported into Onshape back to Onshape in its current file format on your local machine.
  • Export - Write an Onshape studio part or individual part to another CAD format, or a sketch or flat face in DWG/DXF format and download it to your local computer.

Learn more about supported file formats.

Supported file formats

For any tab that represents a part or assembly, Onshape automatically writes to a supported format of your choice when you initiate an export. Onshape can write parts Studios, assemblies, and tabs containing other imported CAD files.

OpenFor the Studio part:

Onshape can write part Studios at:

Onshape can read the Studios part from:

• v10 Parasolid to v27
  • ACIS 21
  • AP203 and AP214 STEP (Geometry Only)
  • IGES 5.3
  • SolidWorks 2004
  • CATIA R14 and R19
  • STL
  • Rhino (.3dm)
  • v10 Parasolid to v27