Opening a file

Hello

I am on solidworks 2019 sp3 and when I open a step or other file it shows me the error message below, if you have the solution I am taker I tried to repair solidworks but it does not work

Thank you

probleme_solidworks.png

Hello 

If you click on ok it  doesn't work .?

Can you  post your file  to test?

when I click on OK it re-displays the message 4 or 5 times and then it ends up opening it for me but it's not normal that it brings me this message.

no I can't send you the file it does with all the steps

When you open a STEP; You open file then go to the options and check if you have the same settings as me because at home it works very well with these...

option_dimport_step.jpg
1 Like

As the message says, the default templates are not defined, you have to go to Tools/System Option/Default templates and give the right paths (see PJ).

If the WWTP contains an assembly, it is normal for SW to ask the question several times (1 time for each assembly or sub-assembly, 1 time for each part... that can be a lot).

modele_1.jpg
2 Likes

Be careful if your base model has a geometry, it may be integrated into your  WWTP / assembly and therefore delete them after opening if this happens.

Personally, my basic parts are boards with ribs already defined in a certain way. which means when I'm not careful, I have a rectangle that is added to the STEP (or other format)

thank you for your answers I will test and I will keep you informed

@FUZ3D: In this case, you can define a specific template and check the box next to "Ask the user to select a document template".
The only drawback is that on older versions of SW, you have to select it for each file generated, while recent versions include the choice for the entire import operation.