Open the part folder

Hello everyone, 

I would like to know if anyone knows a trick on SW (I have the 2013 version) to open the "Windows" folder of a part in an assembly.

I'm looking for a trick to easily open the directory where the part file in question is located.

Like for example a right click: open the part folder, or a keyboard shortcut ect ect...

Thank you all and have a good day to you.

Hello

This is an improvement from SolidWorks 2013:

By pressing R (for recent files) it is possible to click on the icons to open the files or to display the folder.

Otherwise, you have to right-click on the part in the tree of an assembly, display the properties, copy the path and paste it into a Windows explorer: a bit tedious, but I don't think there are any other solutions.

Edit: indeed it also worked in 2013, I thought it was only since 2014 (2013 not used).

2 Likes

I don't know the purpose of your request, but if you want to know where the part of an assembly is, you can also open the part and press "Save-As" (or F12).

The folder that opens is the one where the piece is located!

1 Like

In fact, what @ Lucas indicated works in 2013!

Press R, you will see your recent files, go to the thumbnail of the part you are interested in and under the file icon appears "Show in folder". Click on it and you're there!

2 Likes

Hello

you should be able to do it with Solidworks explorer...

Hello, the easiest way for me would be to:

-Left click on the desired piece.

-Click on open room

-Then press CTRL + O

So Solidworks will open your part, and with the shortcut Ctrl+O, it will open the location of that part.

Voili voulou =)

3 Likes

But he's right, the bugger!! A Ctrl+O is enough! Thank you @Bart!

It's an evolution of SW that I missed, because it's guaranteed, in previous versions it didn't work! He opened the last file where there had been a recording.

1 Like

I take it as a compliment =)

Derien!

1 Like

@benoit.lf

Since at least 2011, Ctrl+O opens the last slot used to open a room.

1 Like

Hello

For me, it's not a question of knowing in which folder the document is saved, but of being able to quickly open the Windows Explorer folder.

I already knew R at startup for recent documents, and CTRL+O is a command that is often found in a lot of software.

Thank you all in any case! 

So as it stands, no direct solution.

Unless you go through a macro and a button? But here we have to see with those who master the subject! @Lucas are you there?

There she is...

explorer.zip
8 Likes

It's supposed to work the way @Batch123 wants!?

When I perform it by hand, it doesn't seem to matter.

@BATCH123! Why the CTRL+O doesn't suit you, it opens the explorer in the last known windows folder.

By the way, it's simply a Windows shortcut that works in all Windows software...

@+

Here is a list of the most useful shortcuts for windows 7:

http://www.clubic.com/windows-os/windows-7/aide-astuce-tuto/windows-7-quels-sont-les-principaux-raccourcis-clavier-utiles-2684.html

Re

Another idea comes to me, why not use the file explorer in SolidWorks in the task pane on the right and thus list the documents open in SW and on the file you are interested in, right click and "search in my computer" (see my attached image)

@+

recherche_dans_poste_de_travail.jpg
1 Like

@coyote

Ctrl+O opens the folder of the current file.

What you want @Batch123! it is "open the "Windows" folder of a part in an assembly". So potentially a different folder than the current file.

@benoit. Yes, yes, but if you open the room in question, it's the folder of this room that is activated by Windows and therefore CTRL + O.

On the other hand, if the part is already open and you switch from the assembly to the part, it doesn't work anymore, hence my second proposal

For your second solution, it looks like it's a new 2014 release: I don't see this option on 2013.

screenshot171.jpg

It's the Explorer tab in the task pane on the right, not in the feature manager on the left!

@+

1 Like

My image shows a right click in the "File Explorer" on the right of the screen on SW 2013!

So new in 2014?