Where to start when you start on Solidworks 2016 -2017

Hello,

I will start very soon on solidworks 2016-2017 premium for the design of racing car parts (Dragster, Rally, circuits, Single-seater)

Concerning the workstation, I was able thanks to your forum and members (Thank you GT22 by the way) to orient myself towards a confirgutation that should ruin me:)

(see in my questions asked)

I also plan to buy a Faro Freestyle X scanner to scan engine parts  , chassis... and make changes as needed. All for professional use on a daily basis

As a result, I would like to know how  to get started on Solidworks  (of course I will help myself with tutorials, Elephorm training, questions on the forum...)

Also I want to learn the Solidworks simulation part (application of force, stretching....)

I think by this rather silly question that I have to relearn mechanical industrial design? or others? In addition, I would be helped by my US colleagues who use it on a daily basis, but also want to know if there would be organizations that would allow me to do adequate training.

Thank you in advance.

John.

Hello

In addition to what you find in tutorial, there is also this course see following link from the Openclass site, which is not bad if you are new to solidworks, it may be useful to you

https://openclassrooms.com/courses/apprenez-a-utiliser-solidworks

Have a nice day

3 Likes

you find a pc that runs SolidWorks not too expensive

I gave you addresses

You take an educ version of solidworks

you install it with the office pack that goes well with it

and you take the tutorials and redo all the manipulations 

then you take parts of the plans and remodel on SW with your new tools

It seems to me that since the beginning of the comm there are some misunderstandings in the approach

You want a PC bomb with a crazy graf card and all the whole 3D mouse. scanner etc....

and no notion of creation and modeling as well as MECA design

It's still quite a weird approach

@+ ;-)

5 Likes

Hello

Important, to start the drawings and the rib chains, you need to know "functional dimensioning & geometric tolerancing"!

SolidWorks is very intuitive, making 3D parts is child's play, knowing how to use the software's functions according to the type of part (sheet metal, mechanically welded, surface, ...) is more complicated, but there is the Lynkoa community to help you learn.

3 Likes

Hello

I would be in your place, I will negotiate a training with my license with my reseller. This will be much, much more effective than any tutorial.

I think that basic training is at least the minimum to have a solid and effective foundation. Then it is possible to complete according to your application.

After as Gt22 rightly says. I ly know how to use SW, how to use simulation, and the mechanics...

Explain to us in more detail the ins and outs of your project. Because at this stage I see it more as a utopia...

Good luck

7 Likes

Thank you for his answers.

My approach is well defined GT22. To be more precise I have my US colleagues who will also use this PC/Scanner Faro...  and what will allow me to complement through their daily experiences. (also using Ansys and other pro software for motor racing)

I make his investments having already a  profitability of expected whether it is by the parts produced, as for the equipment purchased.

Speaking of plans, dimension chain, functional dimensioning & geometric tolerancing, where could I go to get back into the swing of things?  Is there a 2D drawing tool at solidworks or use another software?

John.

Thank you for his answers.

My approach is well defined GT22. To be more precise I have my US colleagues who will also use this PC/Scanner Faro... and what will allow me to complement through their daily experiences. (also using Ansys and other pro software for motor racing).

I make his investments having already a  profitability of expected whether it is by the parts produced, as for the equipment purchased.

Speaking of plans, dimension chain, functional dimensioning & geometric tolerancing, where could I go to get back into the swing of things?  Is there a 2D drawing tool at solidworks or use another software?

John.

As for MEPs, they can be done with any CAD software, but you need to have the basics to make them, and don't forget that a plan can be considered a legal document in the event of a dispute.

I think that you really need to take CAD training to avoid making mistakes that can have financial and legal consequences , especially when creating equipment related to personal safety . 

There are standards, material sizing, protective casing design,  ..., and geometric tolerancing, it cannot be learned in 5 minutes.

With tutorials it is possible to learn how to use the software, there is a certain philosophy to acquire that comes by itself over time, the best is to use several CAD software to learn and realize it.

To conclude, you have to go through the training box to at least have the basics, and avoid spending hours on something that can be done in a few seconds.

1 Like

Hello John

I agree a little with GT22 regarding its questions.

I think you have to remain very humble, facing one after the other the difficulties you will encounter. The big mistake would be to put the cart before the horse by succumbing to compulsive purchases of the latest generation of equipment.

It's all well and good to have substantial resources, but you also need to have the knowledge and skills that go with it to be able to use them. Why not through training, but we have to face the fact that we cannot do everything ourselves and that it is very often more profitable and efficient to seek knowledge from experts.

You seem to be getting into Solidworks without knowing it, so why go for the premium version? Do you really need it? Do you know the difference with the other versions? You'll have to learn to think in 3D, to draw parts, to make assemblies, to manage your folders and files, to be methodical... That's already substantial!

Then comes the drawing, and there is no secret there, you need knowledge! if you don't know what a cartridge is, a nomenclature, a tolerancing, a coast chain, an ISO standard... The software won't do it for you!

You also talk about scanner Faro, do you have any knowledge of metrology? it's not the same thing between taking a caliper measurement and making 3D reconstructions from measured elements, which will then have to be compared to the theoretical tolerancing of objects

You also mention the Simulation module. Do you have any notions in the resistance of materials? on finite element theory? Do you know how to make hypotheses of mechanical simplification? And above all, do you know how to interpret a result of constraints or deformation? because the software will give you a result anyway but there is every chance that it will be wrong!

In short, I don't want to scare you, but the 4 points I addressed (and I'm probably forgetting some) correspond to 4 different professions! To learn how to do all this,  it's years of training as well as years of experience!

8 Likes

+1 for Thom@s

1 Like

I would even say +10 for Thom@s .

Especially since blacknagata keeps responding to ratings...

3 Likes

Personally, I'll start by buying a GDI (Industrial Designer's Guide).

As Thom@s say , it takes years to learn to design, it is a profession that requires general knowledge in several other trades.

Going through a design office would be safer and cheaper for you. Then, you would realize the work that needs to be done, it would already give you a good experience to learn. After all, if it's to design buttons for the dashboard of a car, all this will not be necessary for you.

1 Like

Hello Thom@s and other members.

To answer your questions, I don't throw myself into compulsive purchases of a PC for nearly 10K and Faro scanner for nearly 15k euros.

Both of its investments are for professional use in the field of automotive  competition (mentioned above).

Am I new to solidworks 2016-2017 Premium? Yes, I'm a novice.

Will I do a training? Yes, I would do it in the end by having a good address for of course 

Where did I plan to start?elephorm online training, tutorials, and experience of my colleagues and forum advice...

As for the industrial design, I still know what a nomenclature, standards and certain necessary factors are. It is rare that an engine tuner does not use standards and others...

As far as the Faro is concerned, I know how it works and my colleagues have the $55K ARMS model perfectly (which should allow me to use the FARO Frestyle X version) 

The same goes for CFD simulation and others, I will train myself by all means and by time via the experience of my colleagues and training.
My goal is not to become like Thom@s the professional city of its 4 professions but to use more than 15% of a  man's brain, to become for a time not very independent to create simple pieces in the first place.

John.

1 Like

By "CFD simulation" you mean fluid mechanics?

If this is the case, you will have to buy "flow simulation" in addition to the premium version!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Lynkoa,

The most competent people to train you are usually the technical teams of SolidWorks resellers who train every year in new products and who have experts in each field, simulation, CFD simulation, design, etc...

So the best thing for you is to ask for a quote from the reseller from whom you bought SolidWorks, there are 5 resellers in France, 2 of which have the largest technical team (250 people).

@+

2 Likes

Indeed  Thom@s it will be CFD (fluid mechanics) but also for the chassis part, but for this we have an engineer under the Ansys software who takes care of it. (I'll learn much later to understand...)

Coyote, thank you for its information.being located in Paris, would you have the names of its resellers or its 5 resellers?

John.

1 Like

Hello

@Blacknagata who did you plan to buy SolidWorks from?

My colleagues have the Premium version but US license version.

I haven't planned a particular reseller. Are there some recommended ones in Paris?

John.

1 Like

A little help, see my site that I made for interns:

http://tutoriel.solidworks.free.fr/

1 Like

Thank you alain. ERP for your site to indicate good bomb of information.

Indeed Thom@s , I would need  "flow simulation". But isn't it included in Solidworks 2016-2017 Premium  ?because it seems to me that it is...  

John.