Parameterizing an Infinite-Dimensional Assembly

Hello TLM,

being in an internship period (Bac+2 level) in a company designing conveyors on Solidworks 2012, I was asked to take over the existing standard conveyors in order to adapt them so that they could be infinitely configurable. This means that by modifying only 4 dimensions, it can then be modified infinitely according to the customer's request (Length, Width, Conveyor inlet and outlet height).

I started with the simplest, but I still haven't found a solution that works perfectly. The overall assembly of the conveyor is broken down into three sub-assemblies: Upper part (Stringers + roller), Front foot (conveyor output) and Rear foot (conveyor inlet).

The upper part should be able to be modified in such a way that the width of it corresponds to the width of the feet. One of the problems is that as the length of the upper part of the conveyor increases, the number of rollers (linear repeat) and the number of holes in the stringers must also increase and vice versa if the length decreases.

I've already tried with a pilot sketch but I haven't found a solution to the problem of the rollers.

I've read on several forums that you need to use the Solidworks VBA feature to solve infinite configuration problems. Being very bad at programming, I ask you if you have any solutions to offer me?

Thank you in advance.

Hello!

Take a look at DriveWorks technology!

You already have a version called DriveWorks Xpress that is free in SOLIDWORKS.

2 Likes

I would advise you to create 4 global variables and to create equations in your repetition functions via these global variables example

LENGTH: 5000

WIDTH: 1200

INTAKE: 1000

OUTPUT: 1500

and your equation would be for example

ROLL REPETITION = (LENGTH - (head module length + tail module length) ) / centre distance

It would give you the number of rolls to put

3 Likes

Hello

The best thing to do would be to manage variables from the custom properties pane.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers!

I opted for DriveWorks and I admit that it works very well. This feature also allows you to link a drawing to the 3D model, which updates automatically when you change the dimensions: Very good points.

This also allows the new assembly to be saved by renaming it with the name of a customer and a business number for example.

The only downside is that the renowned parts/assembly are registered at the place of the original parts, which makes a nice mess in the file...

I would like to be able to record these new parts/assembly in a case-specific folder.

I don't know if my request is very clear...

Thanks again for the info!!

Hello again.

Glad to hear you like DriveWorks Xpress.

Building rules to define the final locations of generated models is one of the many features added in the DriveWorks Solo and DriveWorks Pro versions.

This feature is not available in the free version of DriveWorks Xpress.

Below is a link to compare the versions with each other:

http://www.driveworks.co.uk/products/compare/

Sincerely,

Thomas