Set up basemap

Hello

New, and alone in the design office in a company, I have to set up my solidworks.

When I create a drawing, I manage to get a company basemap but not the title block (in other words, I only have the company logo displayed and the format of the sheet). Same when I open the file in drwdot.

I went to "tool", "option", "file locations", "basemaps" and I pointed the search to the folder where the basemaps are stored.

Also

I went to "tool", "option", "file locations", "3D cartridge model" and I pointed the search to the folder where the cartridge is stored.

Are the backgrounds incomplete? Is my configuration incomplete?

Thank you for your help.

Hello Not easily explainable but the help is normally well done on this point. http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/solidworks/sldworks/r_customize_sheet_formats.htm

Hello

The file that makes all the difference is the .slddrt file. 

Instead of saving and opening a .drwdot, you should use change the extension to .slddrt.

If not, is your sheet locked in your model?

In the folder, for each format, I have a .drwdot file that has the logo and the fomat when opened, and a .slddrt file that is empty!

How do I see if my sheet is locked?

Unless I'm mistaken, but if you make a copy of your ".drwdot" file in ".slddrt" and keep the same file name, doesn't it work?

If it's the background plan that you don't see, it's because it's not displayed when you open the file.

Well checked "Show the basemap"

1 Like

If you have drawings whose basemaps are not visible, you can right-click at the "sheet" level

And select "Properties" from the context menu

1 Like

or right-click directly in the middle of the sheet, we have this context menu; Take "Properties"

1 Like

And in the window that appears, you can show or not the background plan by the checkbox below:

1 Like

Another idea comes to me: do you have any layers put in your drawing?

Maybe the layer where your basemap is inactive?

What to see

1 Like

Otherwise, I made a site for my interns on SW.

Here is how to make a basemap:

http://tutoriel.solidworks.free.fr/crbst_56.html

Simple or advanced

See the "Properties" section if you want to make an advanced basemap:

http://tutoriel.solidworks.free.fr/crbst_168.html

@FabCamp: To generate the SLDDRT, you need to do: file/save the basemap.

Hello

I tried to open one of the basemaps in drwdot " and save it in ".slddrt".

As I said, the drwdot background only includes the logo and the format, I don't have the complete cartouche (borders...).

When I reopen the corresponding slddrt, the sheet is empty.

No tracing..

Hello 

To make a custom drawing: 

- Create your own basemap and links to autofill

- Create a block, save it, then explode it (so you can duplicate the same basemap on different sheet format)

- You exit the basemap, you do "File" "Save the basemap" and then save as, and you save in .drwdot 

- You put all your basemaps in one place, and after "Options" "File locations" "Document templates" and you go to find the place where you placed your basemaps.  

If you want to open them, you do new, you click on advanced and there your basemaps should appear.

Then, to auto-fill your drawings, it's in the properties of your room or sheet. 

Hi all

I am in the same situation as Benoît who created this subject, being the only and first draughtsman in a design office I have to take care of its " implementation".

I'm in the process of creating the drawing templates so I'd like it to work well for the next few years of the company's existence, but I don't know how to go about it because it's the first time I've had this kind of thing to do.

To begin with, I don't understand the difference between " the basemap " (. SLDDRT) and the " drawing model" (. DRWDOT). What is the basemap, and what is the MEP model?

Then, concerning the cartridge, is it a separate file (. SOMETHING) or is it part of the background plan ? or the MEP model?

Thank you in advance for your help

Hello

No one has an answer(s) to my question..?  

(I haven't created a new post because it already addresses the subject well, but the basic functioning of the settings of drawings (and therefore of the background) is not clear at first)

Hello

The basemap contains everything related to the layout of the plan (page format, outline of the drawing area, title block, fixed lines of modifications, etc.).

The document template allows you to set up the displays of annotations, dimension arrows, view labels, etc.

The title block is part of the basemap and is only a filling aid without editing the basemap (old SW operation). It is not recorded elsewhere, it is not a separate element.

4 Likes

Ok, thank you Cyril for this clear answer.