Thread 3/4

Hello

Used to using C4D for design or creating parts for 3D printing, today I am asked to create a part with a screw thread to the standard.
The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about screws.

My screw thread must be type 3/4 or 20/27, after having done tests, this corresponds to the screw thread of the tap or mixer fittings, other info, it would be a thread for piping called "GAS". After a lot of research I found a lot of information on standards and ratings, but where it sticks is that once you have to put it into practice in SW, well that's what.
In the company that allows me to use one of its SW-equipped offices, there is not one who knows more than I do.

Creating a screw with thread is quite simple by following a tutorial, where I get stuck is at the data level (Fig.1). If I take the numbers of a 20/27, I have:
Pitch in mm: 1.814Pas de visNumber of steps in 25.4 mm: 14
h in mm: 1.162
Outside Diameter 26.441

Diameter on sidewalls D2 = d2 : 25.279
Core Diameter: 24.117
Deviation over d in : -0.284
Deviation on d2 Class A: -0.142
Deviation on d2 Class B: -0.284
Deviation on D1 mm: 0.541
H = 0.960491.P
h = 0.640327.P
r = 0.137329; p

To be sure, I tried to reproduce the part that I used as a test with its 11 fillets. (Fig.2)

Fig.2

It doesn't really look like a screw thread like in the Fig.3 picture.
If I understood everything correctly and calculated well, in my 20 mm (SW gives me 19.95 mm) I have 11 threads with a pitch of 1.814, r corresponds to the radius of Fig.3, the angle is good, it's not complicated to understand and it should be 55°.
On the other hand, instead of the 0.866 and the 1.732 I have absolutely no idea what to put ? Should I put, as I think H/2, i.e. 0.960491/2 = 0.4802455 instead of 0.864 and 1.814 instead of 1.732?
Fig.3

Anyway, I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't have done an extruded bosage rather than a removal of material because if I look at the result, my screw thread looks more like a square than a triangle.
Filet
If anyone could help me reproduce my piece, a big thank you for your help.

Franck... y goes to Hollywood

Hi here is a question as we like them ;-)

for the visual of your thread

What for

How much is your outer diameter of the tube?

your radius of the guide curve of the propeller is 4.513?

Your pitch sketch angle is 59°? 

Normally it's 27.3. X 2 NO!!! '

Be careful that your gas pitch is not conical

Look at not whitworth or bsw

@+;-))

Hello

You can find parts under SolidWorks already drawn, see here:

Sketch with equations: https://grabcad.com/library/british-standard-pipe-thread-profile-1

https://grabcad.com/library?per_page=20&query=pipe+thread

https://grabcad.com/library?per_page=20&query=npt+thread

http://www.cadforum.cz/catalog_en/?q=npt

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/Search.aspx?arg=pipe%20thread

1 Like

Why don't you use the data directly rather than calculating it.

Pitch: 25.4/14

r=0.137329*p 

your angle = 27°30' x2  (you don't have that on your sketch, you have 59°)

And you draw your cylinder on the outside side and not the average diameter. Then your propeller. You put your net sketch on your propeller and you get what you want.

edit: with the ex

2015-05-21__filetage.sldprt

Good evening

Having become accustomed to these beautiful threads, I make the parts in inch and not in mm. 

3/4 tap 16 so the odds will be fairer. Knowing that 1 inch is 2.54 we very quickly enter into catastrophic conversions if we have to draw a real yarn. 

Hello

At first glance, the odds of 0.866 and 1.732 do not seem to be the most judicious. What matters is the odds of 4.513 which must be equal to D1/2 (24.117/2). Then, I will put an outer radius which must be at least that of the cylinder (if it protrudes there is no problem). Unless you want to integrate the radius at the top of the net, then this dimension must be equal to D2/2.

That said, I would be wary of the tightness of a 3D printed thread of this type. Personally, I think I'll leave at least an extra thickness to go over the die and have something cleaner.

1 Like

Hi!

Thank you for your answers.

gt22 : Yes the odds are not the corresponding ones, but at the time of the post I didn't have access to the PC equipped with SW.

.PL : Thank you for this list of very interesting sites, which I put aside, but all done, personally, I don't find it top notch, but it's true that it can frankly help in some cases.

opiep27 : Oh frankly, it really looks more like my screw thread. By the way, .PL passed me a link with this figure, on the other hand, well I tried to do it again and then... how can I put it? It's not C4D... !! If you have a lead that will explain this method, well it would be welcome, because for the moment I have only found "simple" steps like the one I did.< And since I am surrounded by broken arms in the field...!

Gérald : I agree, I've already noticed it, and I've had to fold more than one calculator. For this time, I'm discovering it in paine SW, so I took what I had on hand on an English tutorial and strangely in millimeters.

Chamade : Uh, yes ok...! Not only am I discovering SW, but also all kinds of screw threads, constraints etc., etc. I didn't even imagine that there were so many.
Why keep it simple as usual, but I'm going to look into the question you raise.

1 Like

I enclose an inch fitting made in inch unit and not mm with 11 threads

it's the same kind as opiep27 but I tick on making it in mm (when you draw American think American) 

Resume the "helicoil spiral" function in "Swept screw pitch 3/4"

Height= revolution x pitch (14x0.0616)

Revolutions= Number of Threads (14)

785_union_male.sldprt
1 Like

Hi!

Thank you opiep27 and Gerald it's great, it really corresponds to what I'm looking for.
I just have to try to do it again.

Chamade : Compared to 3D printing, indeed it will be necessary to provide a greater thickness, the problem is that for the moment, I don't know if it will be in FDM or Stereolithography with a Form Labs +1 type machine.