Upgrade from SW 2012 to Catia V5R19 => Assembly Features

Hello

I was a former user of SolidWorks 2012 until recently, and I now work with Catia V5R19.

I'm having a problem creating assembly functions (making a pocket for example) in an assembly.

Let me explain with a concrete example. In SW, when I want to rework an assembly (boring a connecting rod for example), I create two parts (the connecting rod and the cap) in the roughing state, then I create the associated roughing drawings. Then, I create an assembly, I come to do my machining rework, then I create my associated drawing, which is logical since at this stage the connecting rod and its cap are no longer dissociable. Under SW, the changes posted in the assembly do not impact the part files in any way.

That is my problem. When I do the same thing in Catia, the functions I use to do my rework in my assembly automatically end up in my parts, and I can't do anything about it.

So my question is: how do I make sure that the changes made by the assembly features don't appear in the part files?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello just to see + clearly. are we talking about CAD? (no FAO) Otherwise it's not in  assembly designated that you have to work and there I'm not competent at all.

The "assembly functions" in the CATProduct environment are in fact  topological operations in the context of assembly, (pocket, symmetry, etc. )?

For example, if I have to make an impression of a part in a block, I use the shrinkage function.

I am in design, not machining, so the removal operation is found in my block part  and evolves if my part is modified.

This is normal behavior in this module.

After that, we can keep the associativity or break it, but the removal operation will still remain in the tree.

If you don't have a CAM module and what you really want is to have two different planes (Rough and machined) pointing to the same Part. You have to work in a body of pieces.

You should have the following structure in your building shaft. (the machining body can be either assembled, removed, added etc it depends on the first topological operation you create in this body, a pocket will have to be assembled, or added but not removed minus less is more).

For the plane(s) it is enough to point to the "raw body" to see only it before selecting the drawing face on the geometry.

For the finished part, the main body is pointed.

Note: Any body can be redefined as a main body.

2 Likes