Going from surface to "volume bossing"

Hello

I am in the process of modeling a crankcase in order to assemble  2 cylinders of 500 2 tps.

My concern is at the level of transfers, let me explain, how to get these curved surfaces in thickness with all the rest of the crankcase?? In other words, the rest of the crankcase will be in function of bosses - extrusion and material removal - and these transfer surfaces - in blue selection on the image sent - how to recover them? In advance, sorry for not being clear enough!!

But on this forum I know that there are enlightened users!!

surfaces_transferts.pdf

hello @pierre32.debate 

See this link

https://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/pdf-3d-ensldprt

http://help.solidworks.com/2019/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Importing-Exporting_SOLIDWORKS_Documents.htm?id=63ffa62184704891a11ad9018f65aa08#Pg0

@+

Hello @pierre32.debate,

If you want to define geometry in volume, the easiest way is to use the volume smoothing functions, adding and removing material.
All you have to do is define suitable sketches and guide curves.
Optionally based on the boundaries/edges of your transfer surfaces.

Below is an image to illustrate the speech...
And the file of the document in attachment (v2018).

M.blt

carter.sldprt
1 Like

Thank you m.blt, great thank you!!

I will keep you informed of the progress of the project, which will normally be printed in 3D plastic, before machining in a block of aluminum...

Hello

I'm coming back to you for these "famous transfers", I'm following m.blt's procedure, certainly not as it should be, because the smoothed material removal function doesn't work, and I can't interpret the error message... I have a slow brain

Attached is a screen print and the sw 2016 file - see at the end of the creation tree for the function in question-

Thank you in advance, cordially Pierre

enlevement_matiere_lissee_transferts_carters.pdf

File  crankcases sw 2016

carter_2bbloc_alu_bossage-der_22_02_transferts_2020.sldprt

Hello

Here's what you need to understand about the error message: Guide cover X (element selected in Purple) does not cross the section (element in blue sketch 34).
The ends of the purple elements must be constrained of the "meeting point" type with the blue elements,

1 Like

Hello Pierre

In a smoothing, the guide curves must intersect the profile curves. No approximation possible. Your curves are drawn freehand, it seems. I forced the coincidence by removing the verticality constraints and it works very well.

screenshot_1.png
2 Likes

Thank you for the answers, I'll apply myself.... and you keep you on the juice... from...

Sincerely, Pierre

Hello

A big thank you to all the people who helped me make these transfers!!

Sincerely, Pierre

carter_2bbloc_alu_bossage-der_22_02_transferts_2020.pdf
1 Like

And soon printing

vue_en_coupe_impression_3d.jpg
1 Like

A few hours...

vue_sur_plateau_impression_3d.pdf

Do you print in 2 half-shells?
A question of idiots: won't this weaken the final part (how will the 2 pieces be linked?) and what about the precision of the bore (even if it is planned to take it back in machining later)?

Hello

In 2 half-hulls? Very good question, what do you mean by half hulls?

I'll answer as I understand the question: yes in shell, material thickness - ("sides, top and bottom") and grid type filling, see attached image.

Possible to print in full too -100% filling- a lot of tps...

Printing format of my 3d  printer x300x3y00xz400, so for the largest housings, in 2 parts and glued

I am at your disposal for your questions, with the pleasure that this site provides me...

vue_en_coupe_impression_3d.jpg
1 Like

Almost finished housing set...

ens_1_28_02.pdf
1 Like

Your last image answered my question ;-)

In "edge" view

ens_carter___1_03.pdf

Attached is a computer-generated image, plastic rendering, and this weekend, start of 3d printing...

r1.jpg