High-performance PC

Hello 

I have a DELL M6800 PC and I have 3-4 crashes with solidworks 2014.

Of course QD is for some reason defined like changing the letters in the addition of a drilling table CADMES tells me that it is fixed in the 2015...

thank you but we don't have the maintenance...

for other things they have the easy answer "it's fixed in the new version"....

otherwise I would like to have your opinion on my PC.

basically I had windows 8 and solidworks didn't work well with windows 8 and EPDM was 100 times slower than a low-end DELL pc... (latitude)

So we switched to seven...

but sometimes he even has big problems....

So we are looking for a more powerful desktop PC and we don't know where to go

Could you help me.

Thank you

Hello

I'm currently on Solidworks 2014.

For me, it's a pretty stable version.

I have an Hp Z440, I highly recommend it. After all, I'm not a pro.

What's your complete setup? Graphics card, processor, etc.

And above all, what type of work do you do in Solidworks. Rendering? Simulation? etc...

3 Likes

it's a persistent question, and it always comes out of it more or less the same config

processor greater than 3Ghz

RAM at least 16GB

An SSD for the system or a disc platter greater than 7200rpm

A pro nvidia or AMD graphics card depending on the use (e.g. an nvidia 2000 for assemblies greater than 100 parts, etc...)

A homemade assembly pc, yes but once the component price calculation is completed we realize that if we take for example a motherboard that accepts RAM higher in speed than 1333Mh we climb very quickly in price.

and then for example the hp Z400 all complete  (by contacting axemble which has interesting prices) is cheaper than spending hours making a CAD machine

3 Likes

There you have it, everything is said.

After that, I only have 6GB of RAM, it's more than enough for the activity I do at the company.

And I don't recommend Windobe 8, there's nothing like Seven to run Solidworks.

Make sure you install the right drivers, as sometimes you need to install the ones offered on the Solidworks Customer Portal rather than the ones offered on the manufacturer's site.

3 Likes

I add  @bart that if you have several versions installed on the same workstation be careful to take the driver common to the 2 versions. 

and 16GB is especially as soon as you do the assembly you feel a nice difference. Me c my 16GB I am just when I open my assemblies to more than 2000 parts

1 Like

Hello 

here is my config

NVIDIA quadro K3100M

32GB of ram

SSD hard drive

Intele Core i7

2.7GHz (at the moment it doesn't want to be above 85% of the max frequency for I don't know what reason, it's good at max performance... but sometimes it goes to 110%...)

At Dell you don't have a good PC reference? otherwise if you need a good machine we'll go to HP.

otherwise we use for large assemblies. 

we quickly exceed 400-500 pieces...

It is used for rendering but rarely for simulations.

Yours truly,

I think the last thing that's blocking is the graphics card...

@bricesk_2 if you have display difficulties when you move your assembly then yes the card can be a problem. But I also think that your core i7 has 2.7 and can be limited, because in different stations there are configs at 3GHz mini. For my part I have an i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz and no problems in the processes.

When I move I don't have a problem in general. sometimes it may be delayed...

but I put the definitions to the minimum to use the predecessor (or the grpahic map) as little as possible.

otherwise, I sometimes have assemblies for which the parts are completely messy and I have to make a construction for the display to be correct...

When I use my PC with SolidWorks, the CPU usage never exceeds 13%

But just now, for example, SolidWorks was working and so I had a CPU usage of 15% and an average CPU of 14.

But I had a problem going to Lynkoa's website. I didn't have a processor for the Google web page anymore and the average CPU was at 0.03.....