Drilling in a solid part built from a solid surface

Hello

I have to make several holes in a volume part but containing only curves since it was made from surface.

In addition, all my piercings must be at a specific distance from each other since it represents a precise pattern.

I thought about doing my piercings in 3d (without establishing a plan to drill) and I tried to do my drillings on several planes (in order to get a precise result).

In both cases I can't rate my piercings accurately or sometimes not even at all.

I'm a bit lost, here is a very vague idea of what I want to do (attached). 

If you have any ideas, I listen to you carefully.

2019-02-20_15_24_24-solidworks_premium_2018_sp5.0_-_gab-0176a_-dans-_gab-0175__.png

Hello

Just use the "wind" function by making a flat sketch from a tangent plane somewhere.

I'll give you an example in a few minutes

Kind regards

Hello

Here is an example in the ZIP file of a combination of a sketch and the "winding" function.

At your disposal to explain in detail with a tutorial if necessary.

Kind regards

PS: almost irrelevant ;-) because your part will be stamped your drawing will be right but you will have distorted holes and the holes will not be in the right place in real life compared to the drawing. This is why you would be better off using a "Reference Geometry" placed in the zone of least deformation (where the neutral fiber is the least heckled. The ideal would be to start with two or three sketches whose reference points take into account more or less the stamping deformation.

My remark is totally wrong if your holes and lights are made by post-stamping machining.

desktop.zip
3 Likes

Hello zozo_mp,

The idea was very good but I don't think it works for me.

Solidworks gives me this message.

2019-02-21_08_26_17-solidworks_premium_2018_sp5.0_-_gab-0176a__.png

To come back to my previous comment, the winding to work finally. Thank you very much.

And to answer your other comment...

The part will be molded in worm fiber on top of another part and then drilled by hand using the final part to be assembled in order to be precise. Then the result will serve as a template to always drill in the right place.

We want to represent reality as much as possible, so I believe that winding is still the best solution. 

Thank you so much for your help!!

2 Likes

Hello Melysa.Rousseau

Thank you for your clarifications on the resumption of manual machining and drilling.

If your second final part has stable and always precise dimensions, then  you can also make a drilling gauge for your counter-drilling. You will have better reliability and repeatability and more ease for drilling.

Good luck and you know where we are if you need help ;-)  ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like