Can we convert a solidwork file from a higher version to be readable with a lower version (e.g. slw 2017 file to be readable with slw 2014)

Hello

Question 1: There are SLW files of objects that are downloadable however some are in SLW versions higher than the version we have so is there an SLW file converter from one version to a lower version please?

Question 2: Is it possible to recognize the version of an SLW file without opening it... Please?

Thank you for your insights

Kind regards

Master

Hello

It is impossible to open a file with such a gap, you can open a 2017 file with a 2016 Sp5  version and therefore impossible to convert a file to an earlier version but if you have downloaded the file in Solidworks format you should be able to download it as a neutral file (stl,igs,step or parasolid) and then you can use FeatureWorks to recreate a creation tree to modify your part.

3 Likes

Hello

Agree with ac cobra 427 for question 1.

For question 2: Right click on the file then detail tab, normally it is indicated in which version of Solidworks the last registration was made, for example:

Kind regards

2 Likes

+1for previous answers

Preferred the registered In parasolid

This is the native SolidWorks format

@+

3 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your answers, in fact the files I found are not necessarily in the formats you specify however I found a "*.sat" format which seems to be the best understood by my SLW version (2014).

Regarding the version of the file with windows 8.1 I don't see with which software version the file was created (among the info, only the date of creation, modification and that it's a slw file) good but not serious...

Kind regards

Master