Can we do a repetition of a shape that is a form?

Hello

I'm looking to make a repetition of a piece that follows a shape, my project is a text with a groove where rectangular diodes are placed and I'd like to find a method that avoids me positioning them one by one.... I don't know if it's possible because I looked at all the snooze functions and couldn't find my solution.

Kind regards

stéphane

Hello Stéphane

Could you make us a screenshot of your shape (and the part on which you have to do your rehearsal)

Depending on the appearance and complexity of your shape, there are several possibilities that can be adapted or not.

Which version of Solidworks do you have because in the 2019 version there are new possibilities.

Is your repetition a sketch or a boss VS removal of material, indeed you say repetition of a part which leads us to assume that you have an ASM and that you want to add parts (diodes). You should specify a little what you want to do. For example, make holes in your shape and insert diodes into an assembly on your machined part to receive them.

You see, we can imagine things that would ultimately be far from your reality.

Kind regards

2 Likes

it's true that it will be more meaningful with images.... (it's strange this sentence lol)

So here it's a letter like I tried the curve repeat, which works well, but the problem is that as the picture shows you can only select a part of the shape

lettre.jpg

here is the groove where the diodes should be

rainure.jpg

And here is the first diode installed, the goal is to put some in all the grooves with more or less regular space, it doesn't really matter and no need to plan drilling or anything else either, it's just an internal plan to explain the assembly and list the number of diodes.

debut_assemblage.jpg

and yes last thing I'm on solidworks 2019 SP2

Hello Stéphane

Thank you for these clarifications which enlighten us a little more on what you want to achieve.

At first glance, although I don't have the piece, it seems to me that it's because the sketch of your form is not continuous in the sense that it is probably an assembly of curved lines and portions of a straight line. That's why it doesn't work the way you want.

To get out of this without too much expense, you would do your repetition from a line (Spline or spline and line converted into a trajectory) that would be centered in the middle of your groove. Centered will simplify your life in the turns, some of which have closed angles.

From this line, which must be continuous  (that's why I suggest a spline that you can possibly set with a dimension for more precision if necessary from a projection of the edges of your groove) you can easily repeat along this line.

Kind regards

PS: I'm also in 2019 so if you can post a letter I could confirm or deny my pre-diagnosis ;-)

1 Like

Thank you for your answers, I'm discovering solidworks little by little, I'll try to see to make this spline, then you have to choose repetition driven by a curve?

Attached is a letter, I made the texts from a DXF of the client, which may not help either?

e.sldprt

Bingo is what I thought! The letters are made with a multitude of segments.

This fully confirms the diagnosis as well as the method to be used to make the "guide curve"

I made you a Nano-tutorial in PDF format to make it easier to understand. In case my previous explanations weren't clear enough and in case you haven't already found another solution.

Kind regards

PS: there are surely other ways to do it: maybe simpler than our forum colleagues will  tell you ;-)

repetition_de_piece_avec_une_courbe_guide.pdf

Thank you zozo_mp, I can indeed redraw the lettering because it's the Credit Agricole signs I just have 2 different texts in 3 dimensions of each, I'll try to redraw in spline, I just had a problem to go from a curve to a straight line.

1 Like

rectification, a very big thank you zozo_mp, it works perfectly and it made me discover the function adjust the spline ;-)

1 Like

Here is the result, I will have to touch up the path a little because I have a small offset but otherwise it's perfect 

final.jpg