Can you project a point on a plan on solidworks?

Hello 

So there you have it, I'd like to be able to automate a pattern repeat on a surface. To do this, I will need to be able to project my point cloud on my surface to delimit my repetition area. I know that it is possible to project segments and I remain hopeful that it will be possible with points. Thank you in advance for your help.

Good evening @TERRAL 

The answer is yes and no.

Let me explain !

if you are using a 2D sketch that contains all your points, you cannot do  ==> convert the entities ==> and then select the multi-point 2D sketch because the SW is sulking and does not want to.

On the other hand, you can from the 2D sketch that contains all your points and do on the new sketch ==> convert the entities ==> then select the points one by one: in which case the selected points are projected in one go on the new sketch. This can be tedious if you duplicate the point cloud several times on the same part. (poof poof! )

That's it to answer the question ;-)

That said!
While I don't see what your point cloud looks like, if I were to fix this, I would create a block that contains my point cloud and insert that block into the copy sketch wherever I want and with the block insertion number as you like.

Kind regards

nuage_de_points_-_2021-06-10_17_50_24-solidworks_premium_2019_sp5.0_-_piece1.jpg
4 Likes

Thank you Zozo_mp for your help, You have confirmed my doubts unfortunately. I had already tried your technique but I didn't get conclusive results or at least they didn 't correspond to what I was looking for. I hope to be able to find a solution but I think that Solidworks will not be of the same opinion.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

I think I still have the solution. It's a function that is used less often but very practical. This is the derivative sketch.

This allows you to select the entire sketch, even the points at once. Then Insert/Derived Sketch.

The use is simple but not intuitive (for me). Without starting the new sketch, select the plane of the new sketch + control key + the sketch to copy. 

This new sketch is linked to its parent.

It can be projected onto non-parallel planes!. It's like blocks without going through blocks:) 

4 Likes

Thank you Soring, it's true that your technique works but in fact what I want to do is an extrusion repeat using the stitch repeat function. So I have to exclude all the points that are not in my plane, that's why I'm looking for a function similar to a projected curve but for the points. I didn't know the derivative sketch and I think it will be useful in the future again thank you ;)

1 Like

THANK YOU! Great Mister @soring 

The only thing to be careful about is that the secondary sketch remains linked ad vitam to the primary sketch. It's kind of like symmetry, if you change A, then B takes all the changes.

My super-clever colleagues must have a feature or a trick to interrupt this dynamic  link (maybe  @soring   ;-)    I feel it on this one   :)

So I looked in the online help and it also works To derive a sketch from a sketch in the same assembly.

Kind regards

1 Like

haha. Interrupt but definitively :). Right-click on the derived sketch and then undo the derivation. You can still undo the cancellation by CtrlZ. But that's all.

2 Likes

@soring ,

I validate this function is not very intuitive and I don't use it anymore on the other hand I use the blocks that perform exactly the same functions  with the advantage of being easier to use.

may the force be with you.

2 Likes