Can a predefined view be saved as a template?

Hello

I would like to be able to save a predefined view, with the options I have chosen as well as a note attached to this view (see attached image)

I can't see a command that allows it, and I can't create a macro that defines the insertion of a predefined view.

Thank you.

vue_predefinie.jpg
1 Like

Hello

The help page looks pretty self-explanatory. When exactly does the problem occur?

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Predefined_Views.htm

You can either insert them from the "Predefined View" menu:

To insert a preset view into a drawing:

1. In a drawing document, click Preset  View (Drawing toolbar) orclick InsertDrawing ViewsPreset.

Or create a document template with predefined views:

"You can also save a drawing document with predefined views as a document template."

Otherwise, see these tutorials in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFmcNbo4e8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVNVh0K3vUc

2 Likes

The help shows how to insert a predefined view. On that side I have no problem.

But the typical use of a predefined view is to insert one or more of them into a document and save that document as a template.

On the other hand, in my case, I would not like to save the drawing as a template but to save the predefined view itself as a library element (in the same way as a block for example).

The purpose of all this is to make a drawing with different 3D models with an isometric view for each model.

So I'd just have to insert a preset view on my sheet and then insert the 3D model. And repeat this for all the 3D models that I want to insert on my sheet.

1 Like

Adding Named Views

The Named View dialog box appears when you click New Viewbutton_New_View_Orientation.gif in the Orientation dialog box.

To create named views:

1. Use the Zoom and Translate tools to get the desired orientation in a view or drawing sheet. For example, zoom in on a drawing view or a title block.
  2.  Click New Viewbutton_New_View_Orientation.gif in the Orientation dialog box.
  3. Type the Name of the view and click OK.

View the orientation by double-clicking its name in the Orientation dialog box.

@+ ;-))

1 Like

GT22: Can you be more specific because I don't see how it gives me a solution.

The named view gives an orientation and positioning of the model in the 3D environment or a positioning of the sheet in the 2D environment but doesn't bring me anything on a particular drawing view, does it?

1 Like

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_manipulating_3D_drawing_view_mode.htm?id=89ea154d74914a99b9b637a662de9879#Pg0

To manipulate a drawing view in 3D drawing view mode:

1. Select a drawing view and click 3D  Tool_3D_Drawing_View.gifDrawing View (View toolbar) or View > Edit > 3D Drawing View.

A pop-up toolbar appears, with the Rotate Tool_Rotate_View.png tool selected. If the drawing view contains annotations, the annotations are hidden when you rotate it. You cannot insert annotations in 3D drawing view mode.

2. Use the tools in the context toolbar to manipulate the drawing view as needed.
  3. To create a new view orientation, click Save View button_compare_drawings_save.gif or press the space bar, and then add a named view in the Orientation dialog box. This view orientation will be available under Other Views in the Model View PropertyManager the next time you insert a model view.
  4.  Click Exit button_Cancel_Modify.gif on the context toolbar.

The drawing view returns to its original orientation.

Click button_Save_Modify.gif on the context toolbar to keep the orientation changed.

A priori the predefined views are intended to be included in the drawing templates, I couldn't find any information to save them alone...

PS: GT22 talks about 3D while the question is about drawings.

Edit:

For a macro, there's one here:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/52080

1 Like

I think that if we make a named view in the 3 d

It's easy to get it back on the drawing no

which of + is as this view is named 

it can be searched by name

@+ ;-))

Thank you .PL, it ties in with my research.

There is still the macro track but when I try to record one by doing the step-by-step commands (Insert > Drawing Views > Preset... > click on the sheet > modify the options according to my needs > insert the note), the macro comes out empty...

Nevertheless, I'm really not a pro with macros, I'm even more than a beginner.

And we can't imagine changing the basemap to a template with predefined views? Do a test by hand to see if creating a macro is possible.

Hello

There may be a product that can meet your need. We have recently developed an "AssemblyBoard" tool that allows you to generate drawings of parts or sub-assemblies of an assembly from a BOM of your assembly from your drawing. You could consider having only one view and retrieving properties from the 3D.

I give you the link to the article that presented this tool.

http://www.mycadblog.fr/assemblyboard-nouvel-outil-suite-mycadtools2015/

Kind regards

1 Like

@GT22: I don't want to be dependent on the 3D model, quite the contrary.

And I only want an ISO view, which is already available by default.

What I want to save are the scale options, tangent edges, high quality, and the insertion of a note

@.PL: I had thought about this solution, which I had first tested before opening this topic.

The problem is that if you have multiple predefined views in your document, assigning a template to one of the views also assigns it to all available views... which doesn't suit me very much.

And it's a shame since it would have answered my problem. I would have had a blank view that I would have copied and pasted if necessary.

Regarding AssemblyBoard, I don't think this can answer my problem since I don't have an assembly connecting all the models I want to insert on my sheet.

But it's a shame since that's exactly the goal!

So, I confirm, as I wrote in my previous post:

"A priori the predefined views are intended to be included in the drawing templates, I couldn't find any information to save them alone... "

No solution for this problem a priori!

Thank you all for your participation.

So there is apparently no solution but I still put a degraded solution in place:

- Save a template with a predefined view including the desired options and the grade

- Use of the template as follows:

1- Opening of a new drawing according to the model

2- Copy operation (CTRL + C) of the empty predefined view already present

3- filling the first empty view with a 3D model

4- paste operation (CTRL + V) to create a new predefined empty view

5- Filling this new predefined blank view with another 3D model

6-  etc...