Can we use a library common to several versions

Hello Community,

Can we use a library common to several versions? To be able to use it on a 2021 and then a 2018 without it causing compatibility problems.

Thanks in advance

From the moment the part is registered in a higher version, there is no backward compatibility.

Solution 1: put the library in 2018 version, disadvantage every time you open a 2018 room in 2021 it will transform it so open it more slowly, but will not save, thanks to the read-only version. If you forget to make it read-only, there is a big risk of transforming the room in 2021 and being able to open it with the 2018.

Solution 2: 1 library per version

Thank you for the answer.

That's what it seemed to me, apart from making the files read-only, there is no other solution (apart from one library per version, which is not viable in my opinion)

1 Like

Enough @XavierC.  Solution 2 = duplicates and risks putting a piece in one library and not in the other.

The ideal is to move on to 2021 and come back in 2018!

But I guess there is an imperative for the 2 versions!

1 Like

Indeed, I can work in version from 2017 to the most recent, it all depends on the client I work for

Hello

If you use parts specific to each client, with the version they use, I think that including them in a library specific to that version is not so unthinkable.

But if you're using a recurring part, which is likely to meet the needs of multiple customers, then designing the part in 2017 to be able to use it in all future versions is the best solution.

3 Likes

We are in the same situation: several customers, each with their own version.

For the current documents, we have a database in the oldest version from which we copy the elements necessary in the case. So the files are converted (it's better for opening times) but it increases the size of the storage.

2 Likes