Editable symmetrical part

Hello

Here's my problem: I have to model a part from an old plan. The problem is that as it was made, the part is the exact symmetry of the plane.

In order to avoid mistakes, I want to redo the part strictly following the plan, then perform a symmetry of the part.

My question is: can we obtain a symmetrical part in relation to another, then save it on its own, allowing  the possibility of modifying it later without going back to the first part?

Thank you

Hello @clement.merlin

Once the parent part is created

just register it with a name

from there we take up this mother piece

We create a symmetry and we save with a new name

and we delete the mother part

you will have 2 pieces with different names that will be symmetrical 

@+

3 Likes

Another method:
- model the part according to the plan;
- in the room, create a body symmetry function (take all the bodies, if the situation arises);
- Create a body delete function by selecting the initial bodies.

4 Likes

Personally, I prefer the @stefbeno solution that allows you to have only one part to manage (and which is easy to modify if necessary since you just have to go back up the creation tree)

1 Like

Hello @froussel 

Personally I think it's better 

to have 2 distinct and independent rooms

(one right/one left)

each with its own names

which allows, among other things, to be able to modify one or the other at will

and to save these new pieces with an extension 

I think it's + easy to find them

and follow them

@+

2 Likes

@gt22: It would be interesting to clarify your first answer in terms of how to create symmetry.

With my method, we have a single file with 2 configurations.
You can also create a symmetrical file that will be linked to the first one by the classic method (selection of a plane/insertion/symmetrical part).

I don't see any other simple and clean method to create a symmetrical part by keeping a building shaft.

1 Like

Hello @stefbeno 

After reflection and testing

In the end, the result is the same 

it will always take the parent part to modify the balanced part

to deepen my first answer 

you have to make the modifications when you take over the parent part and symmetry 

since it is a symmetry that depends on the parent part

The only thing that changes is via your option is that you have a single part folder with configuration 

if I don't mix the little neuron I have left

@+

2 Likes

XD Okay, thanks to all of you, but that's just the problem I wanted to avoid: having to modify the motherpiece to change the symmetry... No other  existing method?

@gt22: we agree ;-)

@clement.Merlin: I don't see how you could have a construction shaft of the symmetrical part without having the one of the parent part.
Otherwise, you have to be patient and meticulous to rebuild the symmetrical part by modifying the functions one by one.
If you need the 2 versions in 2 independent files, you have to build the mother part, duplicate the file, add in this copy the functions I explained in my first answer.

2 Likes

Hello

Making a lot of symmetrical parts (one right and one left), we always draw the left part in 1st, then we make a symmetry function (without merging the bodies) in the default config, from there we create two configs (Right & Left) in which the bodies on the opposite side have been deleted (delete/keep bodies function), as needed have made adjustments after symmetry

1 Like