Parts can be configured by spreadsheet/drawing, assembly and parts

Hello

I want to carry out a project but I don't know which software to turn to. If possible a software not too expensive but hey we'll see how it works.

I would like to create a solution to edit a set of parts easily by entering the desired dimensions. The solution is intended for an audience that is not familiar with the DAO, which is why an excel table or other table would be welcome. 

At first I can be satisfied that the assembly of the part remains the same, only the dimensions can change. Once my parts are restored , I must obtain the drawing of the assembly as well as all my parts. The parts are relatively simple, they are only paving stones with chamfers/fillets and other cutting such as drilling or extrusion of paving stones. There will never be curves. But there are often 45 chamfers for assembling parts.

I started to get to grips with Solidworks, the drawing is fast and efficient and updates when you change the parts. For the moment I have done tests, I have made my parts and made an assembly. In terms of configuration, I'm just starting out, so I looked at the tutorials on room families and equations. What's very practical is that I can make my dimension edits from Excel. I struggle a little to know if I should set up my parts from the assembly or each part individually.

In terms of Sketchup, it's very easy to set up and change the dimensions, the only problem is in the drawing with Sketchup Layout, I don't know if I can easily get a drawing of the assembly and my parts.

In a second step, would it be possible to modify my parts, i.e. to add an extrusion/fillet or even the shape of my assembly without having to redo everything? If we can always stay in a spreadsheet configuration like excel it would be great. I have chamfer-like options on such and such edges, I have a revill here and there.

So, what software do you think would be suitable? I have 3/4 months with a few hours a day ahead of me to do this.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hello

In the style of software that is not too expensive, I advise you to look at FreeCAD, which is free.

In the same way as SolidWorks, there can be a link to Excel files:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Spreadsheet_Workbench

Concerning SketchUp I don't really understand where the problem is? If you do your drawing, you can have something similar to SolidWorks, right?

With SolidWorks it will be quite possible to add functions in the part family later, as for the other software, I don't know them as well, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Thank you for your answer!

I don't think Sketchup allows me to do a drawing with all the detailed views and sections like Solidworks. I looked on the net/tutorial and youtube I didn't see anything very specific for the drawing on Sketchup. Do you know if it's possible to do like Soliworks?

For the functions you mean that freecad won't allow me to do what I want with the functions?

What types of functions are you thinking of?

Hello

For my part, I find that Solidwoks allows you to manage the different configurations with excel and moreover the drawings follow instantly. 

Hi manu67,

Thank you also for participating in this post, do you know if Freecad will allow me to make a drawing as efficient or at least close as SW allows? 

Why refuse Freecad if it's free :).

For functions with Excel, this will allow me to control my chamfers on such and such edges?

To be honest I don't know freecad, but with Solidwoks it's possible to manage edges separately if you use a function per edge.

I started on SW, I'll continue and we'll see if I can do the same thing on Freecad.

For the moment I have made my parts and I have made an assembly.

I haven't yet made any equations or families of parts in my assembly or my parts. What's next? Am I heading in the right direction? I need all the settings on the same Excel.

I was wondering if an assembly is useful or if I can't make several volume sizes in the same drawing but I don't know if it will be a problem for my drawing. I would like to have the assembly or all of my volume bodies and each part or volume separately drawn up.

I also just saw the publisher configuration with the custom property manager.

Could you advise me on which solution to choose?

Thank you.

I don't know freeCAD well enough to know if you'll be able to modify functions in the same way as SolidWorks. I just wanted to say that in Solidworks it's doable and very easy.

After that, it's sure that if you have SolidWorks and you've already started with it, it's the best solution. But you were talking about a software that is not too expensive, which is not the case with SolidWorks.

It doesn't seem to me that SolidWorks can manage the dimensions of the parts directly in the part family of the assembly but you can manage the configurations (via part family if needed) of the parts at the assembly level.

You can explore both possibilities with the room families to see which one is right for  you: 

-assembly 

- Multibody part:  you can draw a single body with a view relative to the model.

The configuration publisher needs the configurations, so you can see later.

1 Like

One drive works tool via solidworks 

can answer your problem 

so you create on SW 

and the families of parts and direct config via drive works provided with SW

or drive works pro where you have + possibilities 

See Driveworks google search

@+

3 Likes

Thanks, I'm looking to see if I can get DriveWorks but I think I'm going too far for what I have to do.

I'm looking for a way to have an Excel table and change dimensions. Then to get the drawing of the assembly and my parts.

How would you do it?

1 Like

Hello

As already mentioned, the best tool to do what you want is SolidWorks coupled with DriveWorks.

Go to this site to see examples: http://www.driveworkslive.com/Apps/Landing%20Page/

@+

2 Likes

Hello Ticola,

Some have already mentioned it but I will allow myself to add some information about DriveWorks.

DriveWorks is available in three different versions.

DriveWorksXPress is free and already available in your version of SOLIDWORKS.

DriveWorks Solo and DriveWorks Pro are two other versions, this time for a fee, but with much more possibilities (controlling drawings, modifying your forms, configurators available online, etc etc).

I think you can take a look at DriveWorksXpress:

• Allows you to control parts and assemblies (Generates drawings as well)
  • You mention non-CAD users, DriveWorks is perfect for this, you just have to fill out a form with the necessary information for the future CAD model (Simpler than an excel file in my opinion and makes sure not to make any mistakes).
  • New custom files are generated automatically.
  • This version is completely free and already available in your SOLIDWORKS.

If you would like more information about the DriveWorks range, I would advise you to contact your SOLIDWORKS reseller who will be able to present you with the features of the software.

Sincerely,

Thomas

2 Likes

@ thomas.guillard

tutorial links to driveworks features (the X versions)

I think it will be very judicious

such as this link

http://www.driveworks.co.uk/help/

@+ ;-)

1 Like

@gt22

Very good idea,

First, a quick introduction to DriveWorksXpress:

http://www.driveworks.co.uk/products/driveworksxpress/

Then videos presenting DriveWorksXpress through an example:

http://www.driveworks.co.uk/products/driveworksxpress/video-clips/

Below are some Xpress examples that you can install on your workstation to test yourself:

http://www.driveworks.co.uk/products/driveworksxpress/sample-projects/

To finish a matrix for comparing the versions:

http://docs.driveworkspro.com/Topic/DriveWorksFeatureComparison

Kind regards

Thomas

2 Likes

Hello

Sorry to answer so late.

I will look closely at your links and deepen the leads that have been given.

A big thank you and I will keep you informed of the progress of the project.

See you soon.

1 Like