Excel part family crash when working from home

Hi all

Following recent events, I am teleworking with a borrowed license for the rest of the month and the files available offline. For the moment it works without too many problems except for the families of rooms. Indeed, whether I use an existing part family or a new part created locally on my PC, it is impossible to create a part family. The operation systematically crashes along the way. I tried to restart the PC too, without success.

Is anyone in the same situation as me (SW 2019 premium license borrowed and Office 2016) to see if the problem comes from my situation/configuration only?

I really have a hard time with the cumbersomeness of integrating Excel into SolidWorks for the creation of tables for which a simple CSV text file would do better. And this experience reinforces me a little more in this idea. The same goes for the use of VBA, which should be abandoned (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_for_Applications#Obsolescence).

PS: SolidWorks 2019 SP3 and premium license, Excel 2016, Dell Mobile Workstation. Screenshot in PC.

pb_famille_de_pieces_solidworks.png

Hello

No worries on my side.

I'm on sw2017, outlook 365, telecommuting by VPN. 

I open Excel before and I open the part families in a new excel window.

I prefer the solidworks configurator instead of the parts families, it's more stable. We don't depend on the version of excel and SW.

Yannick

1 Like

Thank you Yannick for your answer.

Indeed, I managed to use a room family by creating a new room, inserting an empty family table by opening it in a new window.

On the other hand, I still haven't managed to open a room that already has a family of rooms.

I practiced the configurator like on your screenshot and it does the job well. On the other hand, I have 110 ratings per configuration so I don't look forward to getting started. I hope they will provide me with access to the VPN soon...

This also allowed me to see the possibility of saving the configuration table. That can be useful even after I get back to the office!

It's becoming more and more nebulous. I have the impression that SolidWorks is actually putting messages on the outside of the screen (as if it thinks I'm still with my dual desktop screen). Notably, I saw it when I tried to create a linked odds. The dialog box to enter your name is not visible anywhere but if I type blind and press "enter", then the linked call number is created.

So, I tried to hit "esc" several times in a row when opening a room with a family and then miraculously: it opens! So it's more a problem of a phantom secondary screen than a VPN a priori. I'll probably switch to the configurator tomorrow if it doesn't give me too much work to do 660 copies/pastes.

1 Like

Good luck and good evening

To unravel this ghost screen problem, you can try plugging your TV into the laptop, and changing the display settings from "extended" to "duplicate". Adjustment accessible, with W10, by right-clicking on the desktop/display setting/scrolling down to the bottom of the window to find the "multiple displays" block, with W7 it's the same kind.

1 Like