Bending with different angles

Hello

I try to create a door like the step joint in solidworks, but I can't get a result that satisfies me without it being a hack.

I created this door under another software (specific to our machines) but I would like it to be done directly on solidworks.

I tried with the sheet metal module it works until the second ply which causes me a problem for cutting them at 45°.

I tried to start from a block and then make a shell, cut the four corners and convert to sheet metal but again I can't cut the second folds at 45°.

Do you have a solution or do I have to tinker ?

I also have another question, on my other software I can from the 3d choose to change a fold into quarter-quarter sheet or conversely reconstitute a fold from quarter-quarter sheet, is it possible to do the same under solidworks?

Thank you for your answers.

bis-holder.sldprt

Hello

See attachment, if I have understood your problem correctly! By clicking on "edit the profile of the bent sheet", you choose an edge and you can transform it. Ribs, angles etc...

Kind regards

tolerie.jpg
1 Like

Hello

Unfortunately, your file is in 2020 and a large number of users are still in lower version.

Is it possible for you to make us a screenshot of what you want (under the other software) and what you have under SW?

This way a larger number of people will be able to look into your problem (if the above solution didn't help you)

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello

I'm attaching a step file and a photo to explain where it's stuck I'll edit my post after eating to explain in more detail.

https://prnt.sc/t66gwd

bis.step holder

I think that we need to modify (by reducing their length) the 2 "vertical" folds so that there is no interference of material with the upper fold.

2 Likes

Hello

Totally agree with @stefbeno  (whose return after this somewhat troubled period I welcome)

However, I also suggest as an alternative to have a larger radius because as it is it is too small to absorb the deformation due to bending.
Indeed, Solidworks takes more or less into account the deformation of the material by upsetting on the edges and if this deformation is too great, SW says that it cannot make the fold. Especially since the 90° mitered folds push back quite a bit in the corners. You can also do a notching for miter folds, this will eliminate backflow.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your answers, concerning the bending radius we use a 12 ve, i.e. an inner radius of 2mm according to the specification of our machines.

My main problem doesn't really come from the upsetting of the folding but more from the fact that the returns don't all have the same angles.

The first difficulty is to match the length of the 45° fold with the 90° bends in order to make all the second folds on the same plane.

The second difficulty is that if I do the bends separately (45° and 90° ) solidworks does not manage the miter cuts automatically.