Folding possible?

Hello

I don't remember the folding ruler so I have a doubt about the possibility of folding this part:

It's 50/10 steel sheet

1 Like

Hi Tomalam,

You use a press brake with a V to bend this part???

2 Likes

Hello

From the 5 mm, you have to bend at least in a V of 25 so there the part it slides it's inevitable!!

And moreover when folding the 2nd fold (since a pre-W-fold is not possible), the first fold already made will hit the deck of the folding machine!! ( To see this you have to draw a folding tool and put it at 45° in the folds and you see the interference )

4 Likes

I think so, the manufacturing is not done towards me and I don't know where it will be folded

But I don't know if the folding tool passes for the 2nd fold.

1 Like

It is possible, it all depends on the tools used.

2 Likes

I know a little about sheet metal work but not to the point of knowing the exact shapes of the tool. Hence my question

1 Like

You're going to have a little trouble bending, let me explain.

You will bend a 5 mm sheet metal in a vee of: 6* ep5=30.

You won't be able to get the 26 inside since when folding the second fold,

The first one will reopen.

We would be tempted to use a smaller vee (22 or 24 vee) but the problem is that the tonnage per meter generated may exceed the values that the tools can support...

There you go, I hope I have enlightened you a little.

4 Likes

With a remote tool, no worries;)

2 Likes

By exaggerating that's what you're going to get! cf PJ

sw02.jpg
4 Likes

David I was thinking more about this to escape the 1st trick: 

1 Like

Afterwards, a part like this should be made as a tool to follow (see production qty.) with folding on mandrel.

As a general rule, the minimum bending radius should be one ep, the bulge is made so no particular worries.

2 Likes

Oé Tomalam a remote tool what =)

2 Likes

A remote tool or swan neck it seems to me if my memory is correct.

I think it will work with this kind of tool

2 Likes

A gooseneck bigorgne Bart and there's no more punch tool colision!

On the other hand with the vee the piece will chase :(

2 Likes

With a V of 30, not ;)

But you need power!

2 Likes

Yes for the remote tool and again! anyway the piece will chase. Or in a smaller V but the V will bite!

On the other hand I just showed my workshop manager, he told me that it is possible with a tool "offset on the width" and at the end of the press!

p1040985.jpg
2 Likes

You're emm...... not, factory there!

:D

2 Likes

Yes I could, but the piece has other folds planned so it's going to be a little too much shaving!

1 Like

Ba in your V of 30, 26+40 it's 66mm.

You bend without any problem. After the tools and the way of proceeding, everything depends on the quantity to be produced. (investment in special tools, or DIY in the workshop^^)

It's going to be about 10 pieces so the DIY option would be highly appropriate

1 Like