Folds on the inner edges of sheet metal frame

Hello

On SW 2019, I have difficulty creating close folds on the inside edges of a sheet metal frame.

I start with a flat area of the frame, cut out in the inside corners, which I would like to fold. Except that below 3.8mm of cutting width, it blocks while the folds do not yet touch.

I tried with sketched fold, it blocks from the first fold.

By trying bent sheets on edges, it goes on 3 of the 4 edges, even if the folds overlap in the corners (and therefore the final flat area generated also overlaps). It does block with this function if I select the fourth edge.

I attach the images of the initial flat area and the type of folds desired.

FYI: Ep=2mm / Ri=2.67

Do you have a solution or ideas please?
I'm a beginner in sheet metal work and I'm learning on the job, if it's not the best method don't hesitate ;)

Thanks in advance

plis_int_cadre.zip

Hello

The idea is that the folded returns touch each other in the corners? If so, impossible!

Or maybe I didn't understand the meaning of the question!

No, indeed physically it's impossible (although with the "bent sheet metal on edge" function on 3 of the 4 edges, it doesn't pose a problem on the 3D, weird...).

But otherwise in the idea it's a bit like that, to bring them together in the corners to the limit of what is possible to draw physically on the initial flat area, with just a laser "incision" in the corners before folding.

On my images, my "incision" is 3.8mm wide, that's big for a laser! :D

If I go down the cutting width, the creases block and don't create.

Thank you, good evening

The idea is to start with a frame and make a fold by editing the sketch of the fold to move it inwards and break the corners. Then, via an axis created earlier, a circular repetition must be made.

Tell me if it's okay with you. 

tole_1.sldprt
1 Like

Hello

Thank you for your answer, I had done a test as you say, but the unfolded result is still quite openworked.

But you made me think of retouching the sketch of the fold, and I attach what gives the closest result to a simple cut line on the unfolded.

On the other hand, tinkering with the sketch of the fold like I did to have a unfolded that fits, it's not great, it makes you spend a lot of time finding the dimensions that fit well... That's why in this kind of case I start with a flat area, which I then fold with sketched folds.

Now, it doesn't work, I don't know why.

esquisse_pli_avec_angle.zip

Hello @LG61

I think it comes from your bending radius (too large unless it's wanted) which must be in your case more than twice the thickness if I can see correctly. 

Since you're talking about laser, it's  often better to make a small hole as a notch at the bottom of the 0.5 mm kerf.

I use "sketched folds" so I have a better command of corner cutting and notching because what SW offers has these limits.

Kind regards

Kind regards

2020-04-06_16_16_48-solidworks_premium_2019_sp5.0_-_tole_1.sldprt.jpg

Hello @LG61

Here is with a sketched crease but with a narrow laser cut with a hole at the end. The hole can be replaced by an ellipse, which facilitates bending and reduces the hole after bending.

Kind regards

Hello Zozo_mp ,

Yes, I too prefer to draw the flat area + sketched folds when I want to master the unfolded.

Ok thanks for the advice of the little notching, do you do the ellipse with a large axis on the axis of the kerf or perpendicular?

It would be surprising for the bending radius, it is 2.67mm for thickness 2mm (workshop charts).

I attach the part that I used to test the 2 methods: "sketched fold" and "folded sheet metal on edge".

I'll do some tests following your advice, thank you.

Kind regards

demo_plis_bord_int.sldprt

Good evening LG61

On the sketched folds you seem to have the standard radius and not 2.67

Here is the result in PJ you will see that with the ellipse it gives a more finished thing according to the needs of your company.

Kind regards

2020-04-06_20_06_42-tole_1_avec_grugeage_en_elipse_et_le_bon_rayon_.sldprt.zip

Hello

After trying it, on your advice Zozo_mp, I attach the part that best meets what I was looking for, with a 0.5mm wide kerf and a 4x6mm ellipse. Despite everything, it leaves a nice hole.

Regarding the bending radius, it is 2.67mm (for 2mm thick sheet metal) when measured once bent, because I define the sheet metal parameters in each part, according to the sheet metal used. So the default settings in this room are the ones that I entered.

That's it for the 3D, and I'm waiting for the feasibility feedback because the real part is a little more complex. In talking with the subcontractor in question, he told me that we could surely work it out without notching at the bottom of the laser line and make sure to bring the folds together.

If I'm interested and I can, I'll post pictures of the tests on real parts.

Thank you in any case for your help.

Kind regards

demo_plis_bord_int_2.sldprt
1 Like

Hello@LG61

Thank you for your feedback. ;-)

I'm interested to see what your subcontractor will do to you because you always learn tricks because there are great fab tricks that don't always appear with regard to the finished part.

If you can attach a picture of the flat piece just before folding it would be great.  ;-)

To pluche

for testing

Make your piece in volume

and transform it into sheet metal 

by obviously creating the crop marks (tear option)

to unfold it

@+;-)

Hello

I too am curious to see the photos because I am in the field of cutting/folding; the only way I can see without having the 45° cutouts in the corners is to make the frame in 4 parts and to have the 4 corners in welds see PJ. In terms of soldering, it's almost identical, but in terms of material gain, that's where we win...

cadre_ac_cobra_427_.sldprt