Benchmarks

Hi all

I want to do something very simple but I can't do it...

I have a very simple sketch with only points.

I would like to create reference points on these points...

Of course, you can do this by taking each stitch one by one, but in the case of a sketch with a lot of stitches, it quickly becomes tedious.

We must certainly get a correct result by going through a macro but hey if we can avoid...

Are you going to tell me what for? Well in fact it's to get them in another software (Nastran) because the sketch points are invisible while the reference points are not...

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Alex

Hello

Can't you save your piece in . Dxf to export it to your software?

In this case, all the points will be visible.

Little tip:

To make your points visible, you have to draw a frame in a construction line that includes all your points, then save-as, and select dxf.

Select the "Annotation view" box and confirm.

See image opposite.

point.png

Hi @ Alexandre

make an IGES export

and retrieve the coordinates of the points in the file

(the lGES is a TXT file that can be used in Excell)

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

To follow up on @gt22's proposal, look at this question: http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/recuperer-coordonnees-points-dans-mise-en-plan

1 Like

Hello

SolidWorks has a function that works for lines, but probably also for points:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Conversion_of_Sketch_Lines_to_Construction_Geometry.htm

Or if it's along a line:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Creating_Multiple_Reference_Points_Along_Curves.htm?id=3fdd1775ab294a539e2eeaef65af854b#Pg0

Personally, guys, I found my solution much simpler...

If, of course, Nastran takes the dxf....

@Bart, which options do you choose from everything on offer? Do you collect the points in 3D?

By going through the @gt22 method (at least the beginning, not necessarily necessary to go to Excel) you just have to check "Export sketch entities" in the export options (see image)

screenshot339.jpg
2 Likes

The Advantage of Excell Files

the advantage of the EXCELL file is that you have your columns X Y Z

and in general it is exploitable by almost all logs and everywhere and can be stored wherever you want

which of + is if you have a multitude of points the excell page is very large ;-)

@+ ;-)

To clarify the context a little:

We have to size a floating barge. (See photo)

So I make a model for finite element calculation. 

The dots represent the location of the floats' center of gravity.

Except that when you save the points in step or parasolid and more generally not all sketch entities are imported.

On the other hand, if I create a reference point on each of the points, then it will be visible on my colleague's software.

I understand your solutions but I don't think it's suitable for my case because if I modify the model everything has to start again... the model I will modify it many times...

And then once I have the coordinates of the points I'm no further ahead... How do I create my famous reference points from the coordinates? 

The solution, unfortunately, is to get the 40 points one by one but I couldn't help but think that what is possible for 1 point must be possible for thousands... and automatically... I was wrong.

That's kind of what I thought, the macro for this kind of manipulation is essential...

barge_flottante.png

And rightly @alexandre.thellier!

Try to save in IGES by checking the option indicated above in the export options: you will get all your sketch entities (and therefore your points) in your other software!

screenshot339.jpg
1 Like

I don't understand or it doesn't suit you

or did I understand nothing? my head is playing tricks on me or what? ;-)

one way or another if you modify your elements

You will therefore modify your centers of gravity of your landmarks, right?

so your bearings will no longer be good

As far as reconstruction is concerned, there is nothing better than a list of points via IGES

with your points referenced in X, Y and Z

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

Of course, I'm talking about a 2D sketch and not a 3D one!!

For a 3D indeed, go through IGES and as Benoît says, check the export box as he showed... =)

2 Likes

@ Benoit

Thank you for this tip that I didn't know about. In IGES, on solidworks I get my sketch entities well.

The problem is that NAstran doesn't recognize any sketch entities when importing. I just did the test with my colleague. My trick of going through a reference point doesn't work either...

Apparently it only imports surfaces or volumes.

What we're going to do is create a small square surface whose center is one of the points of the sketch, and then we repeat this surface with the repeat function driven by a sketch. We will therefore have all the locations of the floats.

@gt22

In fact, the initial question was how to make reference points quickly from sketch points so that these points are visible when importing into another software, in this case Nastran.

The answer doesn't suit me because you propose to extract the XYZ coordinates from the points and then enter them in Nastran via an xls file.

This doesn't suit me because by modifying the solidworks model x times you modify the coordinates of your points x times. The xls file has no links with the Solidworks model and so you retype everything at the slightest modification.

This method is very interesting though to recover the XYZ of points but unsuitable in my case today...

In any case, thank you all for your responsiveness.

1 Like

That's a shame! There are no import options on your NAstran software?

Yes, there are many options, but we have tried everything. Nothing works, you have to go through surfaces or solids.

This is a flaw or a choice of editors to avoid dealing with a huge mass of sketch entity.

1 Like

@ alexandre

Excel and solidworks have the possibility to create links without any worries ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g28wLMpSik8

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/solidworks/lien-fichier-excell-et-piece-sw

you can import an IGES format into nastran so you can import your model from solidworks via IGES

See this link

http://www.scc.kit.edu/scc/sw/msc/Nas120/appendix_a_final.pdf

@+ ;-)

See this link

http://forum.altairhyperworks.com/index.php?/topic/1669-created-tabled-in-hm-from-excel-data/

@+ ;-)

@gt 22

You don't read the previous answers.

We can import IGES into Nastran but without the sketch entities or we haven't figured out how... And the linked PDF doesn't tell us anything, especially since this PDF concerns a software that has nothing to do with ours. 

Of course you can link excel and solidworks via a family of parts but I don't see the connection here.

Of course you can link excel and solidworks via the generation of a curve by a point cloud but I still don't see the connection here.

In short, I don't see the point of this last post, sorry.

1 Like

And if @ Alexandre I read the previous answers and try to meet the expectations as best as possible via the requests

The question at the base was if I'm not mistaken, point references

On that I think I answered you

It's true that I don't know Nastran and I searched and found a multitude of links while talking

of which I have made you by some

on the other hand I read that too

The last sentence surprised me quite a bit, you can't start from scratch under Nastran

...............................................................................................

Import
The import capability allows the user to retrieve an aerodynamic model from the MSC database. Patran described in an MSC file. Nastran input, an Aero Mesh interface file, or an A502 file.
The model data, including surface lift, body, control device and splines can be imported by reading an MSC input file. Nastran ( . Bdf or . Dat ) . 3D model data can be imported in two different ways. The user can read in an Aero Mesh interface file (file. Ami ) , see Appendix F for the user can read in an A502 file (inp file . ) . The import form shown here gives users access to all three import methods.

Remark:
One. When reading an MSC input file. Nastran , the appropriate entities are created in the database as if the user performed the build through the user interface. The appropriate session file commands mimicking this construct are created.
2 . The aerodynamic coordinate system from the bulk data file as well as the hinge line coordinate systems are copied to the MSC database. Patran . However, if a coordinate system of the same ID already exists in the database, it is assumed that this coordinate system is used and one from the data file has not been imported in bulk.
3 . For spline information to be imported, structural nodes must already exist in the database. If you import both structural and aerodynamic models into the database, you need to import the first structure (using the option/import file of the MSC preference. Structural Patran) before using the MSC option. FlightLoads import to get the aerodynamic model. If the structural nodes are not present, the aerodynamic model is imported but not the aeroelastic model.
4 . Importing 3D model data causes the appropriate entities to be created in the database. Currently, there is no user interface to allow users to create 3D models from scratch if no commands are written to the session file.

here it is @+ ;-)