Why is the DEFEATURE feature not always available?

Hello

I use DEFEATURE from time to time to create symbols with the minimum of detail. On the other hand, sometimes the function is not available but I can't understand why.

Even doing a search for a SW command finds nothing...

Can someone tell me what makes or does not have access to this position?

Thank you

Hello.

It's not a widely used function. It's hard to find answers. Can you tell us when the feature is not available to you? Possibly post the piece or the set if it's not confidential.

Hello Soring, 

Since I don't use it every day either, it's not easy for me to see a recurrence related to a specific action.

Yesterday I created 3 new assemblies and I had to close SW and then reopen my assemblies for the function to be available...

This is probably related to the update status of the parts. After reopening, the whole thing was updated and sobered up the function.

I have no other idea.

2 Likes

Hello
If you look in the SW help, Defeature is available for "single-body parts, multi-body parts and assemblies" so no worries on that side.

Just like Soring, I lean towards the state of the part or in your case those that make up the assembly. Indeed, SW loads the components in "lightened". So in the design tree, you need to click on your assembly and select "Set lightweight parts to solved".

3 Likes

Hello

Maybe it's a SW license story, or the tool is available in SW Pro version, but not in SW Standard

Thank you for your answers. You are probably right, it must come from a state story. I'll check next time and put an answer here

2 Likes

After several uses of the function, I systematically have to close and then reopen solidworks despite the reconstruction, and all my parts have been resolved... so no more advanced