Can you help me with the design of a machine?

Hello;

I don't know if this is the right place for this kind of request, if I will ever eliminate my position

My goal is to design a machine capable of removing material on an axis. So I have to design a machine that could be similar to a drilling head (see jpeg 2) or even a kind of "mini lathe".

The problem is that I've never done design, that it's not even part of my training, at least not at my level.
I had thought of an electric motor for the power supply as well as a hydraulic cylinder for the feed system. It's pretty basic but it seems okay to me.

That's why I'm turning to you, I finally liked to know how to go about designing, where to start? how to make the machine functional and practical for the worker and also to meet  safety standards  .

I'm not asking for someone to do the work for me, I'm just looking for information to help me and understand how the design works.

Thank you for your help.

tete_de_percage_2.jpg

Hello

I invite you to go and see the AlainErp website for the design part:

http://tutoriel.solidworks.free.fr/

http://moodle.insa-toulouse.fr/mod/resource/view.php?id=5234

As well as some basics on mechanical operation in general:

http://xpessoles.ptsi.free.fr/fichiers/PDF/03_Cinematique/03_Cin_01_BasesMecanique.pdf

http://coursmeca.free.fr/pstit/cours/cours_construction_mecanique_schema_cinematique_01.pdf

http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/bitstream/2268/12993/1/conception_tome_1.pdf

http://moodle.insa-toulouse.fr/pluginfile.php/36860/mod_resource/content/2/cours_chaines_de_puissance_2015.pdf

1 Like

very good thank you Azrod 

1 Like

First of all, it seems wise to me to know a little + working parameters

a hole in an axis yes  but what a hole

1. Material
  2. Room Dimension
  3. Diameter of the hole (or holes) 
  4. depth
  5. Hole shape
  6. etc......

@+

3 Likes

As gt22 says, you have to have all the parameters before going on a study.

There are some known and proven parameters.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel in many cases.
After that, it is standardization that imposes it, on the one hand by the design time and then by a question of costs.

2 Likes

@gt22

So yes indeed, so already it is not a hole or drilling but a removal of material, I want that on an axis of Ø12 there is on each side a removal of material of Ø4 on a depth of 47. These values are simply examples.

the max Ø is 12 and the min Ø is 6, the max unsinage depth is 50mm

The axles are made of steel.

mise_en_plan_axe_acier.jpg

seeing these links among other things can give you some ideas of what is done and which of + is know the rates charged ;-)

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/tour-combine-500-mm/otmt-92253025/-ref-85229.html?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_term=&utm_medium=lien&utm_campaign=flux-produit&atrkid=V3ADW259FF579_12323693810_pla-193543814690__52085641610_g_c_pla__1o3&gclid=CKSuqb7Dos8CFfYK0wod3HwDtg

https://www.google.fr/search?q=tour+fraiseuse&rlz=1C1CHFX_frFR512FR512&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJsNmyw6LPAhXFrxoKHUq3DWsQsAQIhgE

@+ ;-)

1 Like

@gt22 thank you I'll look at it

Start by making an array of functions (Principals (FP) and constraints (FC))
It will allow you to see more clearly, or a mind map to be able to organize yourself and not get lost.
Also observe the different connections that will be part of your system (slide etc...)
PS: If you plan to rely on a cylinder for the feed system, take a double effect so you can control your rod output and retraction. 

Hoping to have helped you, good luck to you

1 Like

Thank you juicy, the idea of the constraint table is not iditote it will help me indeed, for the jack you are also right I hadn't thought about it but it will be better with a double effect! Thank you, have a good day!

1 Like

For the advance, I'll go for an electric motor (called an axis motor so with an encoder to manage the position), it will simplify the design with only electricity to manage as an energy source.

For safety, you will need a cover associated with an opening detection/locking system. And manage it at the level of automatism (who will take care of it?).

Is the overall length of the room variable?
Do the 2 shoulders have to be done simultaneously?

Now I'm going to spoil the euphoric atmosphere a bit...
Generally speaking, I am surprised by the question:
- what is the economic interest of such a machine, I have the impression that a machining subcontractor would cost you less than the design/manufacture of a specific machine;
- Your machine is called an automatic lathe or decoding machine.
- that you are asked to design such a machine when it is not your job.
- The safety of such a machine must be particularly taken care of... You risk being considered responsible in the event of an accident.

4 Likes

@Stefbeno you have just ruined my day! ^^

No more seriously, I'm only an intern! The boss's request surprised me, that he gives me so much responsibility when I have learned almost nothing about design.

Indeed, usually they have their parts made by subcontractors, especially since they only make 1000 on average per year and its decline is more and more. So this machine that I have to design will indeed not be a very good value for money, at least it will be but over how many years?

After me I'm only an intern, I'm only applying what I'm asked to do, but having talked with a lot of my colleagues as well as the workshop manager it's true that everyone finds his inappropriate and idiotic.

I don't even have specifications, I don't know the safety standards, I'm really starting from scratch, that's why this project doesn't reassure me^^

To answer your questions:

a workman will take care of the mechanism;

The length of the room is standard but the Ø and the depth of the bar are variable

1 Like

It changes everything.

What type of training are you doing an internship for?

It's an interesting internship subject because it touches on a lot of fields.

However, if the design of the machine is not related to your training, you may need to talk about it with your internship supervisor and possibly with your teacher. It would be a shame to start with a misunderstanding.

If the project goes ahead, it will be a pleasure to guide you.

1 Like

I am doing an internship for an industrial design training course (3-year professional baccalaureate), I am in my final year.

I am able to make plans, assemblages, exploded views. I also learned to solve problems on various objects, modify parts or functions to meet a better functionality, but I have never done design, and it is not something that can be done in any way.

I've thought a lot about the subject but it's true that I quickly go around in circles. I contacted a lot of professionals, most of them tell me that they don't have the time or that the project doesn't suit me.

It's true that it's a great project and that I'd love to succeed but the difficulty seems too great for me.

I thought about the option of talking to my internship supervisor but I don't want to give up on the project, the workshop manager is able to help me, he will take the time but for his I have to come up with a minimum of ideas, The beginning of a project, something that I unfortunately don't have yet, I feel like I'm going in circles.

Indeed your help will be precious to me, you seem to know what to talk about, after that I don't want to clutter your time.

The subject is therefore not out of place. Ambitious at your level but doable.
How long does your internship last?

I think your boss knows what he's doing by giving you this topic.

What department are you in? What is there as a person (function) around you?

For the design, you have to break down the big complex problem into several small simple.
We've given you some leads, make sketches, look at the existing machines.

Don't stress about the safety issue right away, focus on the essential function of the machine already.

3 Likes

Hello

I think you should start by writing the specifications to clarify all the unclear points.

You have to know if your machine is automatic or semi-automatic, is the feeding of the parts manual or automatic, ditto for the ejection.

In short, does the machine run on its own or is it to help an operator?

On the CDC you will be able to address all these points and you will be able to present it to your internship supervisor.

You can even make 2 of them, one for an auto machine, and one for a semi-auto station.

Remember to include the energy of the machine (pneumatic, hydraulic, or electric), it will help you choose the components.

Asking if you need a jack is much too early. A cylinder is just an actuator without precision and without servo.

As a reminder, to drill a hole or machine, it must rotate, either the tool or the part, or both.

You also have to clamp the part and maybe even lubricate, a Ø4.5 drill will not last long in the steel without lubrication.

So prepare your cdcs by breaking down as much as possible step by step.

You can also include an economic chapter that will influence your design.

example:

For a semi-auto position with a big budget, you limit the part in the center and work on both sides at the same time.

For a small budget, the operator makes one side and then goes back to do the other side.

S.B

6 Likes

@Stefbeno sorry for the response time,

First of all, you have to know that there is no designer or even a person who can help me at this level, but there are those who can and are willing to help me if needed. I have 6 weeks of internships left as of today.

Alright, I'm going to think about everything and start sketching.

@s.b Thank you for your answer, I will make a specification as you advise me and present it to the people concerned.

3 Likes

Is the Specifications your bible from now on;)

3 Likes

Don't worry about the response time, we too may take time to answer you depending on our workload.

Don't hesitate to post your thoughts, sketches, specifications, etc.
For now, you're not going to do a lot of 3D...

2 Likes

I'll take care of it, I'll get back to you when it's over. Thank you very much